Rays rally in 9th, top TribeJul 8, 2012 - 11:23 PM
Indians closer Chris Perez (0-2) had converted his last 24 save opportunities until the Rays banged him around in the final frame.
Will Rhymes laced a one-out solo shot to right, just his second career home run, and Elliot Johnson singled and scored on Carlos Pena's triple to deep center. Zobrist then registered the Rays' fourth straight hit, a solid single to right that brought home Pena for the 7-6 lead.
Rays manager Joe Maddon was as surprised as anyone that the inning worked out the way it did.
"Rhymes has not hit a home run since 1837 and Carlos has not hit a ball to that spot since he was 10," deadpanned Maddon. "And we win the game. That's how it works sometimes."
Cleveland had runners on the corners with two outs in the home ninth, but Fernando Rodney induced a game-ending groundout from Casey Kotchman to notch his 25th save of the year.
Joel Peralta (1-3) picked up the win despite allowing a run in the eighth.
Kotchman smacked three hits, including a solo homer, to go with three RBI for the Indians, who had won six of their last eight coming in but suffered an unexpected loss with their automatic closer on the mound.
"I made some bad pitches today and they hit 'em," said Perez. "[The streak] is my job. I'm supposed to do that. I don't look at it as anything else."
Cleveland starter Zach McAllister took a no-hitter into the fifth before Jeff Keppinger registered a one-out single. He struck out eight and was charged with four unearned runs on four hits and three walks in 5 2/3 innings.
The Indians jumped out in front after plating a run in the second inning, two in the third, one in the fourth and another in the fifth.
Kotchman chopped a run-scoring base hit back through the middle for a 1-0 Indians lead in the second.
Johnny Damon belted a triple to center to begin the third and scored when Rays starter James Shields threw the ball away on a pickoff attempt. Jason Kipnis doubled with two outs and scored when Keppinger was unable to backhand Travis Hafner's grounder, giving Cleveland a 3-0 edge.
Kotchman laced a leadoff homer into the seats in right in the fourth and registered an RBI single in the fifth to make it 5-0.
The Rays, though, battled back and pushed across four in the sixth on a pair of two-run doubles by Luke Scott and Desmond Jennings, cutting the deficit to 5-4.
Shin-Soo Choo provided some insurance in the eighth, driving a solo blast over the wall in center to push the margin to 6-4 before the Rays rallied in the ninth.
Shields surrendered five runs -- four earned -- on 10 hits and two walks in seven innings...Tampa Bay was 3-for-9 with runners in scoring position while Cleveland finished 2-for-12.
- TAMPA BAY: 7
Jul 8 4:24 PM
- Ben Zobrist singled to right scoring Carlos Pena with one out. Runner on first and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 7, Indians 6 Top 9, 1 OutJul 8 4:08 PM
- Carlos Pena tripled to left scoring Elliot Johnson with one out. Runner on third and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 6, Indians 6 Top 9, 1 OutJul 8 4:07 PM
- Will Rhymes one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Elliot Johnson due up.
Rays 5, Indians 6 Top 9, 1 OutJul 8 4:03 PM
- Jose Lobaton struck out looking. None on with one out and Will Rhymes due up.
Rays 4, Indians 6 Top 9, 1 OutJul 8 4:00 PM
- Desmond Jennings doubled to right scoring Luke Scott and Jeff Keppinger with two out. Runner on second and Jose Lobaton due up.
Rays 4, Indians 5 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 8 2:52 PM
- Jeff Keppinger walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 2, Indians 5 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 8 2:51 PM
- Casey Kotchman singled to right scoring Jason Kipnis with two out. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jose Lopez due up.
Rays 0, Indians 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 8 2:39 PM
- Casey Kotchman lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Jose Lopez due up.
Rays 0, Indians 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 8 2:08 PM
- Travis Hafner reached first on Jeff Keppinger's fielding error scoring Jason Kipnis with two out. Runner on first and Michael Brantley due up.
Rays 0, Indians 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 8 1:57 PM
- James Shields's throwing error scored Johnny Damon with none out. None on and Shin-Soo Choo at the plate.
Rays 0, Indians 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 8 1:48 PM
- Casey Kotchman singled to center scoring Travis Hafner with one out. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jose Lopez due up.
Rays 0, Indians 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 8 1:36 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 8 1:07 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21