Masterson, Hafner help Tribe edge JaysJul 14, 2012 - 5:44 AM
Masterson (6-8) allowed five hits, walked one and struck out five to earn the win.
"Masterson was impressive," said Indians manager Manny Acta of his starter. "He established his fastball the whole game. I thought he did a magnificent job."
Travis Hafner hit a solo homer and Michael Brantley had three hits for the Indians, who have won five of their last seven.
Chris Perez tossed a perfect ninth to lock up his 25th save of the season.
Adam Lind had a pair of hits while Yunel Escobar, Kelly Johnston and J.P. Arencibia each tallied hits for the Blue Jays, who lost for the fourth time in five games.
Ricky Romero (8-5) was pegged with the loss despite giving up just one run on six hits over six frames. He struck out six and walked two in the loss.
The Indians went ahead 1-0 in the second when Hafner pulverized a hanging breaking ball over the wall in right. It was his eighth homer of the season.
"Ricky did a very good job for us with the exception of the one breaking ball that stayed up over the middle to Hafner," admitted Blue Jays manager John Farrell of Romero.
Colby Rasmus drove one deep to right-center in the ninth but the ball died on the warning track. Perez was able to get Jose Bautista to ground out before striking out Edwin Encarnacion to end the game.
In the seventh the Blue Jays had a runner on second with one out, but Escobar struck out and Johnson grounded out to end the threat.
Toronto finished 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position.
Cleveland improved to 21-20 on the road this season and picked up its 10th win when scoring less than three runs. The Indians are 10-27 in such situations...Brantley extended his hitting streak to 11 games...Toronto transferred pitcher Luis Perez from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day DL and selected the contract of Aaron Loup from Double-A New Hampshire on Friday...The Blue Jays were shut out for the fourth time this season. They have been shut out twice in their last three games overall.
- CLEVELAND: 1
Jul 13 9:48 PM
- Carlos Santana grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 13 7:24 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 13 7:09 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21