Cleveland slips past DetroitJul 25, 2012 - 3:43 AM
Miguel Cabrera momentarily quieted the Progressive Field crowd by hitting a game-tying two-run homer in the seventh, but Hafner, with the benefit of a generous bounce off the left-field wall, legged out a one-out triple in the bottom half.
A well-executed squeeze bunt by Aaron Cunningham allowed pinch-runner Lou Marson to slide in safely ahead of Doug Fister's low throw.
"It was a great call by [Indians manager Manny Acta]," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland of the squeeze play. "That was the run that beat us, so it was a good call by him."
Vinnie Pestano and Chris Perez each threw an inning of relief to close out the tight win.
Cabrera's homer off Joe Smith (6-2) spoiled a winning decision for Ubaldo Jimenez, who scattered seven hits and two walks over six scoreless innings.
Nonetheless, the Indians won for the second straight night on the heels of a four-game slide and snapped the AL Central-leading Tigers' five-game winning streak. Detroit, currently tied with the White Sox atop the division, went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine.
Fister (4-7), a winner in his previous three starts, gave up three runs on nine hits over seven innings to take the loss.
Carlos Santana provided Cleveland with the early lead, first doubling to start the second and scoring on Johnny Damon's single to left-center. In the fourth, Santana knocked in Jason Kipnis with a base hit to right.
Smith relieved Jimenez in the seventh, recorded two quick outs and was ahead in the count, 0-2, against Quintin Berry before throwing four straight balls.
The first two pitches against Cabrera were also off the plate, and the third -- an 89 mph sinker -- was sent over the wall in center field for the slugger's 24th home run of the season.
The Tigers wasted a leadoff hit in five of the first six innings, and saw Delmon Young's single to start the eighth erased when Brennan Boesch bounced into a double play.
In the ninth, Perez retired Omar Infante, Austin Jackson and Berry in succession to notch his 28th save of the season.
"In order for you to beat [the Tigers] you need to keep the bottom of their order off the bases and the top of their order off the bases. It's a tough task," Indians manager Manny Acta said.
Cleveland is 6-1 against the Tigers this season....Hafner has two triples this season, his highest total since 2007...Asdrubal Cabrera had three of Cleveland's 10 hits...Hours before the game, the Indians acquired utilityman Brent Lillibridge from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for pitcher Jose De La Torre...Infante, in his first start since being traded from Miami to Detroit, went 1-for-4.
- DETROIT: 2
Jul 24 9:50 PM
- Aaron Cunningham sacrifice bunt scored Lou Marson with one out. On the play, Aaron Cunningham advances to second on Doug Fister's throwing error. Runner on second and Casey Kotchman due up.
Tigers 2, Indians 3 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 24 9:20 PM
- Miguel Cabrera two-out, two-run Home Run (24) to center scored Quintin Berry. Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 2, Indians 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 24 9:09 PM
- Carlos Santana single to right scored Jason Kipnis with one out. On the play, Michael Brantley tagged out at third. Carlos Santana to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and Travis Hafner due up.
Tigers 0, Indians 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 24 8:15 PM
- Johnny Damon single to left center scored Carlos Santana with one out. Runner on first and Casey Kotchman due up.
Tigers 0, Indians 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 24 7:44 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 7:06 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22