Diamond cuts up Indians in first shutoutJul 28, 2012 - 3:29 AM
Diamond (9-4) allowed a season-low three hits and struck out six without issuing a walk en route to his first career shutout.
"Any time you have a good tempo, work fast, throw strikes it's going to keep the defense in the game," Twins outfielder Josh Willingham said of Diamond. "And that's what happened tonight."
Willingham and Justin Morneau each hit three-run homers and Joe Mauer had three hits and scored three runs for the Twins, who had lost four of five entering Friday.
"I've had good years, average years,and some not so good years," Willingham said. "You never know, you come to the park each day play hard and let it happen. Keep coming to the park and playing, that's all you can do."
Travis Hafner had two hits and Jose Lopez singled for the Indians, losers in six of their last nine.
Josh Tomlin (5-8) was pegged with the loss after giving up eight runs on 10 hits in just four innings of work.
"I just didn't gave a good change up tonight," Tomlin said. "I think I made some pretty good ptiches inside but left a few exposed over the plate and they hit them out of the park."
Morneau's three-run homer put the Twins up in the first. Denard Span and Mauer singled before Morneau clobbered his 12th homer of the season.
The Twins broke the game open with a five-run fourth. Alexi Casilla singled and Denard Span beat out a bunt to put two runners on. Ben Revere's base hit scored Casilla and Mauer followed with a base hit to plate Span. Willingham then ripped a three-run blast to put Minnesota up 8-0.
Minnesota added three more in the sixth to make it 11-0. Casilla and Span walked before Mauer singled to score Casilla. Willingham followed with a single to plate Span, and Ryan Doumit's double pushed Mauer across to cap the scoring.
Diamond has never pitched more than eight innings in his career...Span had two hits, walked twice and scored three runs...Revere extended his hitting-streak to 10 games...Twins infielder Trevor Plouffe was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a bruised right thumb. Danny Valencia was recalled by Minnesota to take Plouffe's place....The Indians have been shut out five times this season and three times since the All-Star break.
- CLEVELAND: 0
Jul 27 10:36 PM
- Ryan Doumit singled to center scoring Joe Mauer with one out. On the play, Justin Morneau advances to second and Josh Willingham advances to third. Bases loaded and Brian Dozier due up.
Indians 0, Twins 11 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 27 9:56 PM
- Josh Willingham singled to center scoring Denard Span with one out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to second. Runners on first and second and Justin Morneau due up.
Indians 0, Twins 10 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 27 9:53 PM
- Josh Willingham two-out, three-run Home Run (26) to left center scored Ben Revere and Joe Mauer. Justin Morneau due up.
Indians 0, Twins 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 27 9:19 PM
- Joe Mauer singled to right scoring Denard Span with two outs. On the play, Ben Revere advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Willingham due up.
Indians 0, Twins 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 27 9:16 PM
- Ben Revere singled to second scoring Alexi Casilla with two outs. On the play, Denard Span advances to third. Runners on first and third and Joe Mauer due up.
Indians 0, Twins 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 27 9:15 PM
- Justin Morneau's two-out, three-run Home Run (12) to right scored Denard Span and Joe Mauer. Ryan Doumit due up.
Indians 0, Twins 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 27 8:28 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 8:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21