Donaldson helps A's rally past TribeAug 18, 2012 - 6:29 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Josh Donaldson's go-ahead RBI single in a two- run bottom of the eighth inning helped the Oakland Athletics rally past the Cleveland Indians, 6-4, in the opener of a three-game set.
Chris Carter walked to begin the frame and Brandon Moss' single chased Joe Smith (7-3) from the game. Vinny Pestano came on and gave up a single to pinch-hitter Josh Reddick to load the bases. Donaldson then ripped a 1-2 hanging breaking pitch into left field, which brought in the go-ahead run.
"We needed that win, that would have been a good win. When you turn the ball over to us down there in the bullpen, we've been pretty good all year," said Smith. "Sometimes you blow it. I blew it (Friday). We're just going to come out and we're going to keep battling."
After Derek Norris struck out, Cliff Pennington lifted a sacrifice fly to right, which plated Moss for a 6-4 A's lead.
Grant Balfour worked a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his 10th save of the season, while Jordan Norberto (4-1) picked up the win by throwing 1 2/3 scoreless innings in relief.
Donaldson went 4-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored for Oakland, which rallied from a 4-0 deficit in its second straight win since losing four of its previous five.
"Since he's gotten here, he's swung the bat really well and playing with a lot of confidence," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Donaldson.
Shelley Duncan hit a fourth-inning grand slam for Cleveland, which has dropped three straight and five of its last seven.
After Duncan's slam, the A's countered by pushing across three runs in the home half and added another in the fifth to tie the score.
Carter singled and Moss coaxed a walk to start the fourth. Following Jonny Gomes' strikeout, Carter scored on Donaldson's double and Norris' groundout plated Moss. Donaldson came home on Pennington's single to right.
Yoenis Cespedes smacked a one-out double to left in the fifth and stole third before crossing the plate on Carter's sacrifice fly to left, knotting the contest at 4-4.
A's starter Tommy Milone surrendered four runs -- three earned -- on six hits and a walk in five innings, while Cleveland starter Zach McAllister allowed four runs on eight hits and a walk in six innings ... The A's were 4-for-10 with runners in scoring position, while the Indians finished 2-for-6.
- CLEVELAND: 4
Aug 18 1:08 AM
- Cliff Pennington sacrifice fly to right scored Brandon Moss with two out. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to second and Josh Reddick advances to third. Runners on second and third and Coco Crisp due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 18 12:57 AM
- Josh Donaldson single to left scored pinch-runner Adam Rosales with none out. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to second and Brandon Moss advances to third. Bases loaded and Derek Norris due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 18 12:50 AM
- Chris Carter sacrifice fly to center scored Yoenis Cespedes with two out. None on and Brandon Moss due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 17 11:47 PM
- Cliff Pennington stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Coco Crisp at the plate.
Indians 4, Athletics 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 17 11:30 PM
- Derek Norris ground out third to first scored Brandon Moss with two out. Runner on second and Cliff Pennington due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 17 11:26 PM
- Josh Donaldson double to left scored Chris Carter with one out. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to third. Runners on second and third and Derek Norris due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 17 11:23 PM
- Shelley Duncan none-out, Grand Slam (11) to left scored Carlos Santana, Michael Brantley and Jason Donald. Brent Lillibridge due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 17 11:09 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 17 10:08 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21