Moss, Milone help A's blank IndiansAug 29, 2012 - 4:19 AM
Milone (11-9) gave up seven hits and a walk with five strikeouts while Chris Carter went 3-for-5 with a solo homer, two RBI and two runs scored for the A's, who have won four straight.
"He's pitched several games this year in the fashion he did tonight," said Oakland manager Bob Melvin about Milone. "When we need him to make good pitches, he usually does it."
Zach McAllister (5-5) was touched for five runs on nine hits over just 4 1/3 innings to take the loss. Carlos Santana had two of the eight hits for the Indians, who have lost three straight and 12 of 13.
"Offensively we just couldn't do much," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta. "We couldn't put the ball in play when we had guys on base and that will always hurt you."
Oakland sent eight men to the plate in the second inning. Seth Smith, Carter and Moss all singled to start the frame, with Moss' hit bringing in Smith. After the next two batters recorded outs, Adam Rosales laced a single to left field for a 2-0 lead. Stephen Drew walked to load the bases, but Josh Reddick popped out to end the frame.
The next inning saw the Athletics plate two more runners. With one out, Smith doubled, but Carter followed with a strikeout. Moss then blasted a shot over the wall in center field for a 4-0 lead.
Carter's leadoff homer in the fifth made it a 5-0 game.
Cleveland left men on base in each of the first three innings, but appeared poised to score after a leadoff single by Shelley Duncan was followed by a double from Brent Lillibridge to put men on second and third. Milone, though, then struck out Casey Kotchman and Jason Donald, then got Jason Kipnis to ground out.
After stranding a man in the fifth, the Indians were retired in order in the sixth before Jerry Blevins took over for the seventh and left Asdrubal Cabrera on base after he hit a two-out double.
Blevins got a pair of groundouts to start the eighth then Pat Neshek took the mound and got Duncan to pop out and end the inning.
An RBI double from Carter plated one run in the ninth and a wild pitch by Joe Smith scored another as the A's took a 7-0 lead into the bottom of the ninth.
Evan Scribner set the Indians down in order in the ninth.
Oakland, which also blanked Cleveland in the opener, has won six of the eight games against Cleveland this season ... The A's walked just one batter tonight and have walked two or less men in 24 straight games, a franchise record ... Cleveland has been held to three or less runs in eight straight games, scoring just 11 runs during that time.
- OAKLAND: 7
Aug 28 10:21 PM
- Josh Donaldson grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Athletics 7, Indians 0 Mid 9Aug 28 10:14 PM
- Brandon Moss struck out swinging. Runners on second and third with two outs and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 6, Indians 0 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 28 10:11 PM
- Chris Carter lead-off Home Run (12) to right center. Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 5, Indians 0 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 28 8:46 PM
- Brandon Moss two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to center scored Seth Smith. Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 4, Indians 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 28 8:01 PM
- Stephen Drew walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 2, Indians 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 28 7:40 PM
- Brandon Moss singled to left scoring Seth Smith. On the play, Chris Carter advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 28 7:32 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 7:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21