Donaldson, A's clobber IndiansAug 30, 2012 - 4:20 AM
Yoenis Cespedes went 3-for-5 with an RBI and two runs scored while Josh Reddick added three hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Athletics, who have won five straight including the first three games of this four-game series.
Travis Blackley (5-3) gave up two runs on three hits with a pair of walks and five strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings.
Jason Donald had two hits, including a solo home run for the Indians, who have dropped 13 of their last 14 games. Corey Kluber (0-3) gave up four runs -- three earned -- on eight hits in six innings to remain winless in his career.
"It's a matter of comfort and getting my feet wet a little bit," said Kluber. "I need to get more work on getting my game plan with the catcher together and locking some of the basics down."
Cleveland had the initial lead after Donald led off the third with a homer and Ezequiel Carrera followed with a triple and scored on Jason Kipnis' groundout.
It was short-lived, though, as Oakland went on top in the fourth. Cespedes singled to start the inning and Chris Carter later doubled. After Reddick struck out for the second out, Donaldson launched a pitch over the left field wall for a 3-2 lead.
"The first pitch was a fastball but I had seen his breaking pitches before and he hung me one and I was able to get a good swing on it," said Donaldson.
In the sixth, the A's plated another run as Derek Norris' groundout scored Reddick, who singled and reached third on an error.
A run-scoring double by Seth Smith was followed by an RBI single from Carter to give the A's a 6-2 lead in the seventh.
Cleveland scored two runs in the eighth on Brent Lillibridge's sac fly and a run-scoring groundout by Casey Kotchman, but Oakland answered in the ninth on an RBI single from Cespedes and a run-scoring double by Reddick.
Cleveland shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera was ejected in the first inning by home play umpire Gary Darling for arguing a called third strike ... Oakland has taken seven straight from Cleveland after losing the first two games this season ... Cleveland left eight on base and went 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
- OAKLAND: 8
Aug 29 10:34 PM
- Josh Reddick double to right scored Yoenis Cespedes with two out. Runner on second and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 8, Indians 4 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 29 10:21 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes single to left, deflected by pitcher scored Stephen Drew with none out. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 7, Indians 4 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 29 10:19 PM
- Casey Kotchman ground out second to first scored Lou Marson with two out. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to third. Runner on third and Jason Donald due up.
Athletics 6, Indians 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 29 10:09 PM
- Jerry Blevins enters the game for the A's with runners on first and second and one out.
Athletics 6, Indians 3 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 29 10:05 PM
- Chris Carter single to left scored Seth Smith with two out. Runner on first and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 6, Indians 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 29 9:25 PM
- Seth Smith double to center scored Coco Crisp with two out. Runner on second and Chris Carter due up.
Athletics 5, Indians 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 29 9:24 PM
- Derek Norris ground out to first scored Josh Reddick with two out.. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to second. Runner on second and Cliff Pennington due up.
Athletics 4, Indians 2 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 29 8:58 PM
- Josh Donaldson two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Yoenis Cespedes and Chris Carter. Derek Norris due up.
Athletics 3, Indians 2 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 29 8:19 PM
- Jason Kipnis ground out second to first scored Ezequiel Carrera with one out. None on and Jack Hannahan due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 2 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 29 8:02 PM
- Jason Donald lead-off Home Run (2) to center. Ezequiel Carrera due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 29 8:00 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 29 7:08 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21