Beltre powers Rangers past IndiansSep 1, 2012 - 4:26 AM
Michael Young drove in two while David Murphy and Ian Kinsler each had two hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Rangers, who have won three of their last four.
Ryan Dempster (4-1) got the win in the start as he gave up just one unearned run on two hits with three walks and seven strikeouts in six innings.
"I'm just focusing on one start at the time and doing my best whenever I go out there," said Dempster. "I just want to make good pitches and keep the ball down and away from the middle of the plate."
Casey Kotchman clubbed a two-run home run for the Indians, who lost 24 games in a month for the first time since July 1914. Ubaldo Jimenez (9-14) gave up four runs on eight hits with three walks and seven strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.
"I was fighting too many batters out there tonight," said Jimenez. "Too many times out there I wasn't getting a strike on the first pitch."
The Rangers plated a run in the first as Kinsler singled, stole second and later came home on an Beltre single for a 1-0 lead.
Texas scored two more in the third to open up a 3-0 lead. With one out, Josh Hamilton walked and Beltre followed with a single. After Nelson Cruz struck out, Young and Murphy hit consecutive RBI singles.
In the fourth, Cleveland worked a run across. Jason Kipnis led off with a walk but was forced out a play at second that saw Asdrubal Cabrera reach base. A Michael Brantley groundout moved Cabrera to second and he scored when Carlos Santana singled to right, the first hit of the game for Cleveland, to make it a 3-1 game.
Texas, though, plated a run in the sixth on Kinsler's RBI double and a run in the seventh thanks to Michael Young's run-scoring hit that made it a 5-1 contest.
The runs proved necessary as Cleveland made it close in the ninth. With Koji Uehara on the mound, Carlos Santana led off with a double and Kotchman followed with a blast deep into the stands in right to make it a two-run game.
After getting Ezequiel Carrera to fly out, Uehara stepped aside for Joe Nathan, who set down the next two batters for his 28th save of the season.
The Indians took two of three from Texas in Cleveland in early May ... The Indians had just five wins in August and since the All-Star break are 11-36 ... Texas left 10 men on base and batted 5-for-18 with runners in scoring position.
- TEXAS: 5
Aug 31 10:15 PM
- Casey Kotchman none-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored Carlos Santana. Ezequiel Carrera due up.
Rangers 5, Indians 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 31 10:04 PM
- David Murphy struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rangers 5, Indians 1 Mid 7Aug 31 9:22 PM
- Esmil Rogers enters the game for the Indians in relief for pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez.
Rangers 4, Indians 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 31 8:59 PM
- Casey Kotchman reached first on Elvis Andrus's error. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ezequiel Carrera due up.
Rangers 3, Indians 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 31 8:30 PM
- David Murphy singled to left scored Adrian Beltre. On the play, Michael Young advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Geovany Soto due up.
Rangers 3, Indians 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 31 7:57 PM
- Adrian Beltre singled to center scored Ian Kinsler. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 31 7:16 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 7:06 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22