Masterson, Tribe top TigersSep 5, 2012 - 4:06 AM
Masterson (11-12) gave up two runs on four hits with a walk and four strikeouts for the Indians, who have taken the first two of this set and are poised for their first three-game sweep since June 18-20 against Cincinnati.
"Another well-pitched game and that's the key against a good team like the Tigers," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta about Masterson. "I thought he threw the ball extremely well and did a fantastic job."
Asdrubal Cabrera, Michael Brantley and Jack Hannahan all drove in a run in the win.
Miguel Cabrera's two-run home run accounted for the offense for the Tigers, who came into this set having swept the White Sox and sitting in first place in the AL Central.
Detroit remained one game back of Chicago for first place in the AL Central, as the White Sox were downed by the Twins, 18-9, on Tuesday.
Rick Porcello (9-11) lost his fifth straight start as he gave up three runs on eight hits with a pair of walks and strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings.
"We obviously have come up short the past two days and this time of year we have to play better than that," said Porcello. "We need to win games and series against division opponents if we want to be in the playoffs."
Cleveland struck for a pair of runs in the second inning. Carlos Santana led off the frame with a single and came home when Brantley followed with a double to left. Brantley later moved to third on a Casey Kotchman groundout and scored when Hannahan singled to center.
In the third, the Indians made it 3-0 game. Shin-Soo Choo doubled to start the inning, but Jason Kipnis lined out. Cabrera, though, smoked a shot down the first base line that the ball boy touched near the stands along the right field foul line. Cabrera was given a double and Choo came home to score.
Alex Avila led off the Detroit third with a double and moved to third on an Omar Infante groundout, but he was stranded there as Austin Jackson and Andy Dirks both lined out to end the frame.
The Tigers finally got on board in the sixth. Jackson walked with one out, but he was forced out at second on an Andy Dirks grounder. Cabrera, though, slammed a pitch over the wall in left for his 34th home run of the year to make it a 3-2 game.
Detroit left two on base in the seventh when Infante grounded into a fielder's choice with two outs and the Tigers were retired in order in the eighth by Vinnie Pestano.
Chris Perez set Detroit down 1-2-3 in the ninth for his 34th save of the season.
Detroit pitchers posted eight strikeouts in the game and are at 1,104 for the season, just 11 shy of the team record set in 1968 and 2011...Cleveland has taken nine of the 14 games with Detroit this season...Cabrera has 113 RBI on the season, just one behind Texas' Josh Hamilton for tops in the majors.
- CLEVELAND: 3
Sep 4 10:05 PM
- Miguel Cabrera two-out, two-run Home Run (34) to left scored Andy Dirks. Prince Fielder due up.
Indians 3, Tigers 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 4 9:02 PM
- Michael Brantley intentionally walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Russ Canzler due up.
Indians 3, Tigers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 4 7:56 PM
- Jack Hannahan single to center scored Michael Brantley with two outs. Runner on first and Lou Marson due up.
Indians 2, Tigers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 4 7:31 PM
- Michael Brantley double to left scored Carlos Santana with no outs. Runner on second and Russ Canzler due up.
Indians 1, Tigers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 4 7:28 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 7:08 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22