Tigers handle Indians, avoid sweepSep 6, 2012 - 4:50 AM
Cabrera crushed his 35th home run to help the Tigers avoid a three-game sweep and remain a game behind the White Sox, who beat the Minnesota Twins, 6-2, on Wednesday afternoon.
Doug Fister (8-8) gave up one run on four hits and one walk with six strikeouts in seven innings to earn the win.
"It's good because our fate is in our own hands," said Fister. "We control our own destiny and we just have to take care of what we do."
Ubaldo Jimenez (9-15), who had a 7.79 earned run average in 10 starts since the All-Star break, took the loss after giving up four runs on six hits in 7 1/3 innings.
"The only thing I can do is go out there and give the best I can as long as I can," Jimenez said. "Definitely I wanted to win the game for the team and for me."
Cabrera spotted the Tigers a pair of runs in the first inning. Austin Jackson led off with a base hit and, after Andy Dirks grounded out, Cabrera hammered a 1-2 fastball over the right-field fence to make the score 2-0.
The Indians trimmed the Tigers' lead in the fourth inning. Jason Kipnis delivered a leadoff single. After Asdrubal Cabrera flew out, Carlos Santana and Michael Brantley delivered back-to-back base hits to score Kipnis.
The Tigers were only able to put one runner in scoring position until the eighth inning, when they struck for five runs.
Jimenez, who came into the game second in the AL with 84 walks, issued his first walk to Jackson with one out. Dirks laced a triple into the right- field corner to score Jackson and end Jimenez's night.
Miguel Cabrera plated Dirks with a fly out to right field before Prince Fielder slammed a 2-0 slider over the left-field wall. Delmon Young and Avisail Garcia followed with singles and Jhonny Peralta scored them with a double down the left-field line to give Detroit a six-run advantage.
After Fister escaped the fourth, the Indians were unable to put another runner in scoring position. Joaquin Benoit and Jose Valverde each tossed a scoreless inning of relief to secure the victory for Detroit.
Jimenez lost his fourth straight decision and fell to 1-8 since the All-Star break ... Miguel Cabrera is hitting .336 with 22 home runs and 75 RBI in 85 games against Cleveland since 2008. He is hitting .350 with 28 home runs and 94 RBI in his last 105 games ... Fister is 6-2 with a 2.48 ERA since the All- Star break, including an injury shortened outing in which he gave up seven runs in 3 2/3 innings. He has recorded a quality start in his last seven starts against Cleveland ... Detroit went 2-for-4 with runners in scoring position and stranded four ... Cleveland went 1-for-3 with runners in scoring position and left three on base.
- CLEVELAND: 1
Sep 5 9:33 PM
- Jhonny Peralta double to left scored Quintin Berry and Avisail Garcia with two outs. Runner on second and Alex Avila due up.
Indians 1, Tigers 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 5 9:24 PM
- Prince Fielder two-out, solo Home Run (24) to left. Delmon Young due up.
Indians 1, Tigers 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 5 9:17 PM
- Miguel Cabrera sacrifice fly out to right scored Andy Dirks with two outs. None on and Prince Fielder due up.
Indians 1, Tigers 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 5 9:16 PM
- Andy Dirks triple to right scored Austin Jackson with one out. Runner on third and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Indians 1, Tigers 3 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 5 9:09 PM
- Cord Phelps struck out looking. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Matt LaPorta due up.
Indians 1, Tigers 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 5 8:02 PM
- Prince Fielder struck out swinging, catcher to first. Two outs and Delmon Young due up.
Indians 0, Tigers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 5 7:20 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 5 7:05 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22