Brantley helps Tribe top TwinsSep 8, 2012 - 4:27 AM
Russ Canzler went 3-for-4 with a two-run home run and three RBI, Shin-Soo Choo had an RBI single among his three hits and Cord Phelps contributed a pinch-hit RBI for the Indians, who have won three of their last four.
David Huff (1-0) earned the win with 3 1/3 innings of relief work behind starter Jeanmar Gomez, who allowed four runs on three hits and three walks over three innings.
"It was a good comeback win," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "I think David saved the day for us. He came in and shut them down and gave us a chance to come back and win the ball game."
Josh Willingham drove in three runs, while Ben Revere, Justin Morneau and Chris Parmelee each added an RBI for the Twins, who fell for the fourth time in their last five games.
Tyler Robertson (1-2) was tagged with the loss after yielding two runs -- one earned -- on a pair of walks in one inning of relief work.
With the game tied at four, Cleveland took control for good with three runs in the seventh inning. Jason Kipnis began the inning with a walk and went to second on a throwing error by Morneau. Asdrubal Cabrera walked and Carlos Santana grounded into a fielder's choice to put runners on the corners.
Brantley then broke the tie with an RBI single into right and Canzler reached with an infield hit to load the bases with one down.
Casey Kotchman then singled off pitcher Alex Burnett and Phelps drew a pinch- hit, bases-loaded walk to extend the lead to 7-4.
Willingham doubled home Joe Mauer in the eighth to cut the deficit to two.
Facing Chris Perez in the ninth, Trevor Plouffe led off with a bloop double and pinch-runner Alexi Casilla went to third on a groundout by Pedro Florimon Jr. before scoring on a groundout by Revere to cut the lead to 7-6.
Perez fanned pinch-hitter Matt Carson to nail down his 35th save of the season.
Earlier, The Twins got on the board first with a run in the second inning. Willingham and Morneau walked and moved up one base on a groundout by Ryan Doumit before Willingham trotted home on a sacrifice fly by Parmelee.
Florimon began the Minnesota third with a single and Revere followed with a base hit. Mauer walked two batters later to load the bases with one out and Willingham ripped a two-run double down into the right field corner. Morneau drove home Mauer to widen the lead to 4-0.
Cleveland got on the board in the fourth after Canzler laced a two-run shot into the seats in left.
The Indians then tied the game in the fifth. Jack Hannahan doubled to start the inning and scored when Choo ripped a single up the middle. Kipnis followed with a double and Brantley was intentionally walked to load the bases before Canzler smashed a single to third, allowing Kipnis to score the tying run.
"We had some big hits, but couldn't put it together late to get it done," Willingham said. "They did a good job."
Cleveland improved to 15-38 since the All-Star break ... Minnesota starter Liam Hendriks allowed four runs on eight hits with three walks and two strikeouts over five innings. He remains winless this season (0-9) ... Minnesota finished 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left five men on base.
- CLEVELAND: 7
Sep 7 11:34 PM
- Ben Revere ground out third to first scored Alexi Casilla. None on with two out and Eduardo Escobar due up.
Indians 7, Twins 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 7 11:32 PM
- Josh Willingham double to left scored Joe Mauer. Runner on second with none out and Justin Morneau due up.
Indians 7, Twins 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 7 11:09 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Cord Phelps walked Michael Brantley scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Jack Hannahan due up.
Indians 7, Twins 4 Top 7, 1 OutSep 7 10:36 PM
- Casey Kotchman single to pitcher scored Carlos Santana. On the play, Russ Canzler advances to second and Michael Brantley advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Vinny Rottino due up.
Indians 6, Twins 4 Top 7, 1 OutSep 7 10:34 PM
- Michael Brantley single to right scored Jason Kipnis. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Russ Canzler due up.
Indians 5, Twins 4 Top 7, 1 OutSep 7 10:30 PM
- Russ Canzler single to third scored Jason Kipnis. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to second and Carlos Santana advances to third. Bases loaded with two out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 4, Twins 4 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 7 9:56 PM
- Jason Kipnis doubled to left. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 3, Twins 4 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 7 9:48 PM
- Casey Kotchman grounded out second to pitcher. None on with two out and Vinny Rottino due up.
Indians 2, Twins 4 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 7 9:27 PM
- Justin Morneau sacrifice fly to right scored Joe Mauer. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runner on third with two out and Ryan Doumit due up.
Indians 0, Twins 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 7 9:18 PM
- Josh Willingham double to right scored Pedro Florimon Jr. and Ben Revere. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Justin Morneau due up.
Indians 0, Twins 3 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 7 9:16 PM
- Chris Parmelee sacrifice fly to left scored Josh Willingham. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to second. Runner on second with two out and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Indians 0, Twins 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 7 8:55 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 7 8:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21