Morneau's HR in 9th helps Twins top TribeSep 9, 2012 - 10:49 PM
With two outs and Vinnie Pestano (3-2) on the mound, Morneau drilled the first pitch he saw just inside the right-field foul pole for the win.
Morneau made a winner out of Brian Duensing (4-10), who got the final out of the eighth with runners on the corners then worked a scoreless ninth.
Morneau hit a two-run homer in the third inning, while Chris Parmelee added two RBI for the Twins, who have taken the past two after dropping the opener on Friday.
"The year hasn't gone as we've hoped, but we're still playing for something and this is a good win we had here today," said Morneau.
Carlos Santana went 3-for-5 with a solo homer, two RBI and two runs scored, while Michael Brantley and Brent Lillibridge each scored twice for the Indians, who have lost three of four.
"We had that big lead we just couldn't protect it," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta. "We had a bunch of leads today, but never could put them away as they kept coming back the whole time. We didn't execute very well today."
Neither starter factored into the decision. Corey Kluber lasted just 3 2/3 innings and gave up five runs -- four earned -- on eight hits for Cleveland, while Esmerling Vasquez allowed four runs, three hits and five walks in just three innings for Minnesota.
Santana led off the second with a homer, while Shin-Soo Choo hit a sac fly later in the inning and Lillibridge scored on a Vasquez wild pitch to give Cleveland a 3-0 lead.
Lillibridge's sac fly in the third made it a 4-0 game, but Minnesota got three back in the third as Joe Mauer's RBI triple was followed by Morneau's 18th homer of the year.
Pedro Florimon and Ben Revere each drove in a run in the fourth with RBI singles as the Twins took a 5-4 lead, but Santana doubled in a run in the fifth and scored when Russ Canzler followed with a base hit for a 6-5 lead.
Parmelee's two-run single in the seventh again gave the Twins a one-run lead, but Jason Donald tripled in Lillibridge in the eighth to tie the game.
Minnesota has won nine of the 14 games against Cleveland this season ... The Indians left eight men on base and went just 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
- CLEVELAND: 7
Sep 9 5:41 PM
- Justin Morneau two-out, solo Home Run 2 (19) to right to end the game.
Indians 7, Twins 8 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 9 5:38 PM
- Jason Donald triple to right scored Brent Lillibridge with one out. Runner on third and Lou Marson due up.
Indians 7, Twins 7 Top 8, 1 OutSep 9 5:13 PM
- Chris Parmelee single to right scored Jamey Carroll and Joe Mauer with two outs. On the play, Justin Morneau advances to second. Runners on first and second and Darin Mastroianni due up.
Indians 6, Twins 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 9 4:58 PM
- Russ Canzler single to left scored Carlos Santana with one out. Runner on first and Brent Lillibridge due up.
Indians 6, Twins 5 Top 5, 1 OutSep 9 4:02 PM
- Carlos Santana double to center scored Michael Brantley with one out. On the throw, Santana advanced to third. Runner on third and Russ Canzler due up.
Indians 5, Twins 5 Top 5, 1 OutSep 9 4:01 PM
- Ben Revere single to right scored Pedro Florimon Jr. with one out. Runner on first and Jamey Carroll due up.
Indians 4, Twins 5 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 9 3:43 PM
- Pedro Florimon Jr. stole second with one out. Runner on second and Ben Revere at the plate.
Indians 4, Twins 4 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 9 3:42 PM
- Justin Morneau one-out, two-run Home Run (18) to right scored Joe Mauer. Ryan Doumit due up.
Indians 4, Twins 3 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 9 3:23 PM
- Joe Mauer triple to right scored Jamey Carroll with one out. Runner on third and Justin Morneau due up.
Indians 4, Twins 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 9 3:22 PM
- Jason Donald grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Indians 4, Twins 0 Mid 3Sep 9 3:10 PM
- Esmerling Vasquez wild pitch scored Brent Lillibridge with two outs. Runner on second and Jason Kipnis at the plate.
Indians 3, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 9 2:48 PM
- Jason Donald walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Lou Marson due up.
Indians 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 9 2:36 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 9 2:13 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21