Twins hammer IndiansSep 11, 2012 - 4:18 AM
Deduno (6-3) allowed two runs on three hits and three walks with six strikeouts over seven innings to win for the second time in his last three starts.
"The defense was outstanding and Deduno was making them swing the ball all over the place," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "It was a close ballgame, but we finally put some runs on at the end there."
Justin Morneau drove in a pair of runs, Joe Mauer added an RBI single, while Pedro Florimon had an RBI double and scored on a wild pitch for the Twins, who took the final three games of this series.
Lonnie Chisenhall smoked a solo home run and Carlos Santana added an RBI for the Indians, who have lost four of their last five.
Justin Masterson (11-13) was tagged with the loss after allowing six runs on seven hits and two walks over 6 2/3 innings.
Minnesota opened the scoring in the fourth inning. Alexi Casilla started the frame with an infield hit and Mauer followed with a single into right field, which allowed Casilla to reach third. Morneau then lofted a fly ball to center and Casilla was able to score to give the Twins the lead.
Shin-Soo Choo led off the Cleveland sixth with a walk and Michael Brantley ended Deduno's no-hit bid with a single up the middle before Santana scorched a fly ball to center, which allowed Choo to score, tying the game.
Florimon kicked off the Twins half of the sixth with a triple into the left field corner and scored on a single by Ben Revere. Morneau singled home Revere later in the frame to extend the lead to 3-1.
Chisenhall crushed one over the scoreboard in right in the seventh to pull the Tribe within one, but the Twins iced the game in the home portion of the inning with three more runs.
Matt Carson started the rally with a one-out single and Florimon brought him home with a double to center. Florimon scored on a wild pitch and Mauer scored Casilla with a base hit later in the inning to make it 6-2.
Ryan Doumit hammered a solo shot to straightaway center field in the eighth to cap the scoring.
"It's disappointing to win the first game of the series, then not be able to even get a split," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "We didn't hit or pitch well at all over the last three games."
The Twins improved to 28-41 at home this season ... Cleveland fell to 15-41 since the All-Star break ... Despite the setback, Masterson has pitched at least six innings in five of his last seven outings ... Cleveland stranded four runners on base, while Minnesota went 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left five on base.
- CLEVELAND: 2
Sep 10 10:41 PM
- Trevor Plouffe ground-rule double to right. Runner on second with one out and Matt Carson due up.
Indians 2, Twins 7 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 10 10:29 PM
- Joe Mauer single to center scored Alexi Casilla with two outs. Runner on first and Justin Morneau due up.
Indians 2, Twins 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 10 10:13 PM
- Pedro Florimon scores on a wild pitch with two outs. None on and Alexi Casilla at the plate.
Indians 2, Twins 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 10 10:06 PM
- Pedro Florimon Jr. double to center scored Matt Carson with one out. Runner on second and Ben Revere due up.
Indians 2, Twins 4 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 10 9:58 PM
- Cord Phelps struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Brent Lillibridge due up.
Indians 2, Twins 3 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 10 9:49 PM
- Justin Morneau single to left scored Ben Revere with two outs. Runner on first and Josh Willingham due up.
Indians 1, Twins 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 10 9:38 PM
- Alexi Casilla grounded out second to first. On the play, Ben Revere advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Joe Mauer due up.
Indians 1, Twins 2 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 10 9:36 PM
- Carlos Santana sacrifice fly out to center scored Shin-Soo Choo with two outs. Runner on first and Russ Canzler due up.
Indians 1, Twins 1 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 10 9:29 PM
- Justin Morneau sacrifice fly out to center scored Alexi Casilla with one out. Runner on first and Josh Willingham due up.
Indians 0, Twins 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 10 9:06 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 10 8:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21