Beltre leads Texas over ClevelandSep 12, 2012 - 6:18 AM
Michael Young, Ian Kinsler, Elvis Andrus and Leonys Martin each knocked in a run for the Rangers, who have won four of their last six games.
Matt Harrison (16-9) earned the victory after giving up two runs on five hits and three walks over 5 2/3 frames. Joe Nathan fired a perfect ninth to nail down his 32nd save of the season.
Ubaldo Jimenez (9-16) yielded five runs -- two earned -- on four hits and four walks over five innings to take his fifth straight losing decision.
Matt LaPorta smacked an RBI double in the setback, Cleveland's fourth straight.
"I did everything possible to be close on the scoreboard," Jimenez said. "The guys didn't give up, they didn't get disappointed. That's what we have to do is finish the season strong."
The Rangers plated four in the second inning, as Beltre reached second on third baseman Jason Donald's throwing error to start the frame.
After a fly ball moved Beltre to third, Young registered the game's first hit with a single up the middle and Mitch Moreland followed with a double into the right-field corner before Young crossed home on a wild pitch.
A Geovany Soto walk put runners on the corners and Moreland scored on a sacrifice fly from Martin before Kinsler scorched a double into the left-field corner to plate Soto from first and extend the margin to 4-0.
"When somebody makes an error or make mistakes we capitalize on it which is good," Beltre said of the second inning. "We scored about three runs in that inning that turned out to win the game."
Harrison held the Tribe hitless over the first four frames, but issued a one- out walk to Brent Lillibridge in the fifth before Donald got Cleveland its first hit with a liner into center field.
Thomas Neal's force out at second found runners on the corners and Ezequiel Carrera followed with a looping single into shallow center field to score Lillibridge and trim the margin to 4-1.
Beltre quickly got the run back in the bottom half when he launched a leadoff blast into left-center field. It was originally ruled a double, but the umpires reviewed the play and awarded Beltre with his 31st homer of the year to restore Texas' four-run edge.
In the sixth, Russ Canzler smacked a two-out single and came around to score when LaPorta launched a double off the base of the wall in center field to bring the Indians within 5-2 and chase Harrison from the contest.
Alexi Ogando entered and grounded out Brent Lillibridge before Texas added a run in the bottom half when Martin doubled, stole third and finally scored on Andrus' two-out base hit to center field.
Cleveland battled back in the eighth, as Canzler plated a run with an RBI groundout and, after pinch-hitter Lonnie Chisenhall walked, Koji Uehara entered and served up an RBI single to pinch-hitter Casey Kotchman.
Tanner Scheppers was then called on from the bullpen to face pinch-hitter Michael Brantley, who was caught looking at strike three to end the threat.
Jimenez hasn't won since Aug. 9, spanning six starts ... Andrus has hit safely in all 30 of his career games against Cleveland ... Texas outfielder David Murphy recorded his 50th stolen base of his career in the third inning.
- CLEVELAND: 4
Sep 11 11:20 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Casey Kotchman single to center scored Russ Canzler with two outs. On the play, Lonnie Chisenhall advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jason Donald due up.
Indians 4, Rangers 6 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 11 10:56 PM
- Russ Canzler grounded into a fielder's choice, pitcher to second, scoring Shin-Soo Choo. Carlos Santana out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Matt LaPorta due up.
Indians 3, Rangers 6 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 11 10:45 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to center scored Leonys Martin with two outs. Runner on first and Josh Hamilton due up.
Indians 2, Rangers 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 11 10:03 PM
- Matt LaPorta double to center scored Russ Canzler with two outs. Runner on second and Brent Lillibridge due up.
Indians 2, Rangers 5 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 11 9:47 PM
- David Murphy flied out to center. None on with one out and Michael Young due up.
Indians 1, Rangers 5 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 11 9:39 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo struck out swinging to end the inning.
Indians 1, Rangers 4 Mid 5Sep 11 9:31 PM
- Ian Kinsler double to left scored Geovany Soto with two outs. Runner on second and Elvis Andrus due up.
Indians 0, Rangers 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 11 8:40 PM
- Leonys Martin sacrifice fly out to center scored Mitch Moreland. Runner on first with two outs and Ian Kinsler due up.
Indians 0, Rangers 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 11 8:38 PM
- Mitch Moreland advances to third on a wild pitch. Michael Young scored on a wild pitch. Runner on third with one out and Geovany Soto at the plate.
Indians 0, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 11 8:35 PM
- Mitch Moreland doubled to right. On the play, Michael Young advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Geovany Soto due up.
Indians 0, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 11 8:32 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22