Sanchez takes no-hitter into 7th, Tigers top TribeSep 16, 2012 - 2:14 AM
Detroit still sits one game back of Chicago for the top spot in the AL Central as the White Sox also won on Saturday, a 5-3 triumph over Minnesota.
Sanchez (3-5) was seven outs away from the second no-hitter of his career after retiring the first two batters in the seventh. Carlos Santana, though, broke up the no-hit bid with a triple off the wall in center. Russ Canzler's RBI double to center field and Lonnie Chisenhall's run-scoring single up the middle chased Sanchez from the game.
"I started watching the scoreboard," Sanchez said of his no-hit bid. "I had a chance. Everything was working good today."
Sanchez struck out seven and did not issue a walk for the Tigers, who have won four in a row.
Alex Avila paced Detroit's offense with a 3-for-4 performance and two RBI. Miguel Cabrera added a solo homer and Austin Jackson drove in a run.
Cleveland starter Justin Masterson (11-14) allowed four runs -- two earned -- on six hits over 4 2/3 innings. He fanned eight and walked four.
"It's been a trying season, it's been tough," Masterson said. "I haven't done the job I'm supposed to do. That's what's gotten us to where we're at."
The Tigers scored a pair of runs in the first inning. Andy Dirks and Prince Fielder walked to put men on with two outs. Brennan Boesch reached first on third baseman Chisenhall's fielding error, which allowed a run to score. Avila followed with an RBI single to left.
Detroit tacked on another run in the fourth. Quintin Berry and Omar Infante hit back-to-back singles to put men on the corners. Jackson's sacrifice fly made it a 3-0 game.
Avila knocked in another run in the fifth. Boesch walked with one out and raced home on Avila's double to right.
Cabrera hit his 37th homer of the season in the seventh, making it a 5-0 game.
Sanchez's lone mistake heading into the seventh inning was a hit batsman in the fourth. He was charged with two runs on three hits in the seventh.
The Indians scored another run in the eighth. Joaqin Benoit put men on first and second with two outs. Asdrubal Cabrera hit an RBI single to right to make it 5-3.
Jose Valverde pitched a perfect ninth to pick up his 31st save of the season.
Cleveland leads the season series by a 9-8 margin ... Sanchez fired a no- hitter during his rookie season with the Marlins on September 6, 2006 versus Arizona.
- DETROIT: 5
Sep 15 7:18 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to right scored Cord Phelps with two outs. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Tigers 5, Indians 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 15 6:55 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall single to right center scored Russ Canzler with two outs. Runner on first and Casey Kotchman due up.
Tigers 5, Indians 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 15 6:25 PM
- Russ Canzler double to center scored Carlos Santana with two outs. Runner on second and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Tigers 5, Indians 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 15 6:22 PM
- Miguel Cabrera lead-off Home Run (37) to right. Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 5, Indians 0 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 15 5:58 PM
- Quintin Berry singled to short. On the play, Alex Avila to end the inning.
Tigers 4, Indians 0 Mid 7Sep 15 5:56 PM
- Quintin Berry singled to short. On the play, Alex Avila advances to home on Asdrubal Cabrera's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Omar Infante due up.
Tigers 5, Indians 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 15 5:32 PM
- Alex Avila double to right scored Brennan Boesch with one out. Runner on second with Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 4, Indians 0 Top 5, 1 OutSep 15 5:27 PM
- Austin Jackson sacrifice fly out to center scored Quintin Berry with one out. Runner on first and Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 3, Indians 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 15 5:08 PM
- Alex Avila single to left scored Prince Fielder with two outs. On the play, Brennan Boesch advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 2, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 15 4:19 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 15 4:07 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22