Astros beat Moyer, RockiesApr 8, 2012 - 5:01 AM
Lucas Harrell (1-0), acquired off waivers from the Chicago White Sox last July before being called up in September, tossed seven innings of three-hit, shutout ball for Houston.
"What an outing," said Astros manager Brad Mills. "He just didn't allow them to get anything going. We couldn't have asked for more."
At age 49, Moyer (0-1) became the oldest pitcher to appear in a game since the Dodgers' Hoyt Wilhelm on July 10, 1972, but his first outing since returning from Tommy John Surgery didn't go as planned.
He gave up four runs -- three earned -- on five hits and one walk in five innings.
"I don't think he pitched that badly at all," said Rockies manager Jim Tracy.
Moyer's quest to become the oldest pitcher to ever record a win will have to wait at least one more start. Jack Quinn of the Brooklyn Dodgers is the current record holder. He picked up a victory on September 13, 1932, when he was 49 years and 70 days old.
Moyer is currently 71 days older than when Quinn posted that win.
Jordan Schafer launched a home run to left field on Moyer's third pitch of the game to give Houston a quick 1-0 lead.
Brian Bixler led off the home half of the fourth with an infield single and reached third on a pair of throwing errors by Chris Nelson and Marco Scutaro. Martinez followed with a two-run blast into the Crawford Boxes in left to make it 3-0.
Schafer brought home Marwin Gonzalez in the fifth with a sac bunt, Chris Snyder plated Chris Johnson in the sixth with a single, and Travis Buck scored in the seventh off Martinez's single to make it 6-0.
After Michael Cuddyer got the Rockies on the board with a solo homer in the eighth, Johnson came home on a passed ball by Ramon Hernandez in the home half of the frame.
Troy Tulowitzki tripled home Dexter Fowler and Todd Helton picked up an RBI groundout in the ninth to conclude the scoring.
Moyer is the active leader in wins (267), innings (4,020) and starts (628). The Astros, who are the second youngest team in the league, have seven players on their current roster who were not born when Moyer made his MLB debut on June 16, 1986.
- COLORADO: 3
Apr 7 9:37 PM
- Todd Helton grounded out short to first scoring Troy Tulowitzki. None on with two outs and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 3, Astros 7 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 7 9:33 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki tripled to center scoring Dexter Fowler. Runner on third with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 2, Astros 7 Top 9, 1 OutApr 7 9:32 PM
- Ramon Hernandez' passed ball scored Chris Johnson. Brian Bogusevic advances to second on a passed ball. Runner on second with none out and Chris Snyder at the plate.
Rockies 1, Astros 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 7 9:21 PM
- Ramon Hernandez flied out to center. None on with one out and Chris Nelson due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 6 Top 8, 1 OutApr 7 9:08 PM
- J.D. Martinez singled to left scoring Travis Buck. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Lee due up.
Rockies 0, Astros 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 7 9:01 PM
- Chris Snyder singled to center scoring Chris Johnson. Runner on first with two outs and Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 0, Astros 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 7 8:44 PM
- Brian Bixler singled to short. Runners on first and second with one out and J.D. Martinez due up.
Rockies 0, Astros 4 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 7 8:23 PM
- J.D. Martinez none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Brian Bixler. Carlos Lee due up.
Rockies 0, Astros 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 7 8:03 PM
- Jordan Schafer lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Brian Bixler due up.
Rockies 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 7 7:16 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21