Padres drop RockiesApr 17, 2012 - 5:12 AM
Luebke (1-1) gave up just one run on six hits and one walk while fanning four. Andrew Cashner worked a scoreless eighth and Micah Owings shut down the Rockies in the ninth to finish off the win.
"He has a good live fastball, slider, and a changeup," Padres manager Bud Black said. " I thought he pitched aggressive in the zone. There were a couple situations where he had to bear down and make some pitches and he did."
Nick Hundley finished 3-for-5 with three RBI, Chase Headley had three doubles, an RBI and scored three times, and Cameron Maybin knocked in two runs for the Padres, who snapped a four-game skid.
Tyler Colvin went 2-for-4 and knocked in the only run for the Rockies, who have dropped three of their last five games.
Jeremy Guthrie (1-1) was touched for six runs on nine hits and two walks over seven full frames.
"He went out there and gave us seven innings," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "He gave us an opportunity to re-solidify our bullpen a little bit. We were able to stay off of a number of guys and kind of get ourselves back in place."
San Diego opened the scoring in the top of the first when Will Venable ripped a one-out double and scored on a double to deep center by Headley. After Jeremy Hermida lined out, Hundley knocked in Headley with a double down the right field line to make it 2-0.
Andy Parrino led off the Padres' second with a double to right, moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Luebke, and trotted home on a sacrifice fly by Maybin to extend the San Diego lead to 3-0.
Colorado got a run back in the home second when Michael Cuddyer smacked a one- out double to left and came around to score on a single to right by Colvin two batters later.
San Diego added two more runs in the fourth to grab a comfortable 5-1 advantage. Yonder Alonso began the frame by beating out an infield single and Jason Bartlett doubled to left two batters later to put runners on the corners. Luebke then reached on a error by Troy Tulowitzki, allowing Alonso to score, and Bartlett touched home on a single by Maybin.
Headley cracked a one-out double in the seventh and came around to score on a single into left by Hundley to make it 6-1.
San Diego capped the scoring in the ninth when Headley pounded a double to left, and after a flyout by Hermida, Hundley stroked a single into right field to bring home Headley.
Prior to Monday's game, the Padres activated Mark Kotsay from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Brad Barch to Triple-A Tucson...San Diego has won seven of the last nine meetings between the teams in Colorado...Headley extended his hitting streak to eight games...The Padres went 5-for-14 with runners in scoring position while stranding nine...Colorado brought home only 1-of-7 runners in scoring position and stranded seven.
- SAN DIEGO: 7
Apr 16 11:23 PM
- Nick Hundley single to right scored Chase Headley. Runner on first with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 7, Rockies 1 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 16 11:12 PM
- Nick Hundley single to left scored Chase Headley. Runner on first with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 6, Rockies 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 16 10:27 PM
- Cameron Maybin single to left scored Jason Bartlett. On the play, Cory Luebke advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Will Venable due up.
Padres 5, Rockies 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 16 9:40 PM
- Cory Luebke reached first on Troy Tulowitzki's fielding error scoring Yonder Alonso. On the play, Jason Bartlett advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 16 9:38 PM
- Tyler Colvin single to right scored Michael Cuddyer with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Nelson due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 16 9:14 PM
- Will Venable grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Padres 3, Rockies 0 Mid 2Apr 16 9:05 PM
- Nick Hundley double to right scored Chase Headley with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 16 8:46 PM
- Chase Headley double to center scored Will Venable with one out. Runner on second with one out and Jeremy Hermida due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 16 8:44 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 16 8:43 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22