Grand Old Man: Moyer sets record for oldest winning pitcherApr 18, 2012 - 5:02 AM
Moyer (1-2) tossed seven innings, allowing two unearned runs on six hits while walking two. He broke Jack Quinn's long-standing record, set on September 13, 1932 for the Dodgers at the age of 49 years and 70 days.
"To have your name mentioned with great players of the past or Hall of Fame players, it's pretty special," remarked Moyer. "It's all about playing the game."
Wilin Rosario knocked in two runs and Dexter Fowler added a two-run blast for the Rockies. Closer Rafael Betancourt served up three consecutive hits, including a home run, before retiring the final two Padres to record his third save of the year.
Moyer's counterpart, Anthony Bass, wasn't even born when Moyer made his pro debut back on June 16, 1986 for the Cubs. The 24-year-old Bass (0-2) was touched for three runs on four hits with three walks and seven strikeouts over his five innings.
"He's been in the game a long time," said Bass about Moyer. "He's a pitcher out there and he makes his pitches and he gets guys out."
Chris Denorfia finished 4-for-4 with a run scored and Nick Hundley added a solo shot in the ninth as the Padres fell for the fifth time in six games.
Marco Scutaro gave the Rockies their first hit of the game in the third and Fowler followed with their first runs, launching a 1-2 changeup over the right-field wall for the early 2-0 lead.
Colorado added another in the fourth as Michael Cuddyer hit a two-out single and came around to score on Rosario's double to right for a 3-0 edge.
The Padres got two back in the seventh as Jesus Guzman worked a leadoff walk and Denorfia singled around a Hundley fly out. Moyer then induced a ground ball from Andy Parrino, but it skipped through the legs of Troy Tulowitzki at shortstop to score Guzman.
Jason Bartlett then plated Denorfia with a sacrifice fly to right field, bringing the Padres within 3-2.
Colorado tacked on some insurance in the eighth after Tulowitzki walked and Todd Helton reached on an error. After former Rockie Huston Street came on in relief, Cuddyer scored Tulowitzki with a double to right before Rosario's sacrifice fly plated Helton for a 5-2 lead.
The runs would come in handy as Hundley launched a one-out blast in the ninth to pull San Diego within 5-3 before Betancourt closed the door on the Padres.
Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez returned after missing three straight games with strep throat. He finished 0-for-2 with two walks...Tulowitzki was charged with two errors in the game and now has six this season...San Diego went 0- for-4 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base...Colorado finished 1-for-6 with RISP while stranding seven.
- SAN DIEGO: 3
Apr 17 11:28 PM
- Nick Hundley one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Chris Denorfia due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 5 Top 9, 1 OutApr 17 11:15 PM
- Chris Nelson struck out swinging. On the play, Michael Cuddyer stole third. Runner on third with two outs and Rex Brothers due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 17 11:08 PM
- Michael Cuddyer doubled to right center scoring Troy Tulowitzki with none out. On the play, Todd Helton advances to third. Runners on second and third and Wilin Rosario due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 17 11:03 PM
- Jason Bartlett sacrifice fly out to right scored Chris Denorfia with two out. On the play, Andy Parrino advances to third. Runner on third and Ernesto Frieri due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 3 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 17 10:29 PM
- Andy Parrino reached second on Troy Tulowitzki's fielding error scoring Jesus Guzman with one out. On the play, Chris Denorfia advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jason Bartlett due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 3 Top 7, 1 OutApr 17 10:28 PM
- Wilin Rosario doubled to right center scoring Michael Cuddyer with two out. Runner on second and Chris Nelson due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 17 9:42 PM
- Dexter Fowler two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Marco Scutaro. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 17 9:25 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 8:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22