Rockies double up PadresApr 19, 2012 - 7:12 AM
Juan Nicasio (1-0) gave up four runs on seven hits in 6 1/3 innings for the Rockies, who have won two in a row to finish their nine-game homestand above .500 (5-4).
"I really think as we go along here we're going to see Juan Nicasio get even better with his secondary pitches and once we get to that point, it'll be a very interesting pitcher to watch," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said.
Chase Headley homered twice for San Diego, which has dropped six of seven.
The woes continued for Clayton Richard (1-1) at Coors Field. The San Diego left-hander was tagged for eight runs on 10 hits in 5 1/3 innings. He entered Wednesday's game with a 7.89 ERA in four previous starts at the Rockies' ballpark.
"Clayton had a rough night and Nicasio was on and that's usually the difference. Starting pitching is key," San Diego manager Bud Black said.
Headley staked the Padres to a 1-0 lead in the first inning with a blast to left field.
Colorado responded with a five-spot in the second. Chris Nelson doubled home Todd Helton and Wilin Rosario before scoring on Herrera's shot to right. Dexter Fowler added an RBI double later in the inning.
Headley launched a two-run homer in the sixth after Cuddyer went deep in the fifth.
Nicasio knocked in his first career run to make it 8-3 after six.
The Padres scored a run in the seventh on a wild pitch by Esmil Rogers.
Headley recorded the first multi-homer game of his career...Nicasio struck out five batters...The Rockies snapped a five-game losing streak to San Diego on Tuesday.
- SAN DIEGO: 4
Apr 18 11:16 PM
- Will Venable advances to first on a dropped 3rd strike. On the play, Jeremy Hermida advances to second, Orlando Hudson advances to third, and Nick Hundley scored. Bases loaded with two outs and Chris Denorfia due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 8 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 18 10:43 PM
- Juan Nicasio single to center scored Chris Nelson. Runner on first with one out and Marco Scutaro due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 8 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 18 10:17 PM
- Jesus Guzman flied out to left to end the inning.
Padres 3, Rockies 7 Mid 6Apr 18 10:10 PM
- Michael Cuddyer one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left center scored Carlos Gonzalez. Todd Helton due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 7 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 18 9:56 PM
- Dexter Fowler double to right center scored Marco Scutaro. Runner on second with two outs and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 18 9:10 PM
- Jonathan Herrera one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Chris Nelson. Juan Nicasio due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 4 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 18 9:07 PM
- Chris Nelson double to left scored Todd Helton and Wilin Rosario. Runner on second with one out and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 18 9:05 PM
- Chase Headley two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 18 8:45 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 18 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22