Cuddyer lifts Rockies over BrewersApr 22, 2012 - 10:19 PM
Jason Giambi and Carlos Gonzalez each knocked in a run, while Troy Tulowitzki had two hits and a run scored for the Rockies, who have won four of their last five contests.
Jeremy Guthrie (2-1) gave up just one run on three hits and three walks while striking out two over seven innings of work. Rex Brothers and Matt Belisle combined for a scoreless eighth and Rafael Betancourt worked a 1-2-3 ninth to collect his fifth save of the season.
"It was a great series to win, especially two out of three against two of the premier relievers in our league," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "Guthrie gave us seven great innings and it goes without saying that the eighth was the key to the game. This is a significant accomplishment for our ball club."
Mat Gamel drove home the only run for the Brewers, who have dropped three of four.
Francisco Rodriguez (0-2) was tagged with the loss after giving up two runs on two hits in the eighth.
After Gonzalez fouled out to start the Rockies' eighth, Tulowitzki beat out an infield single and Giambi worked a walk to put two runners on base. Cuddyer followed and crushed the first pitch he saw from Rodriguez -- a fastball right down the heart of the plate -- to deep center field, allowing Tulowitzki and Giambi to score to make it 3-1.
The Brewers threatened in the home half of the eighth when Rickie Weeks walked and Carlos Gomez singled. Belisle entered the game and got Ryan Braun to pop out, Aramis Ramirez to line out, and Corey Hart to strike out looking to end the inning.
In the ninth, Dexter Fowler and Marco Scutaro smacked back-to-back singles and Gonzalez brought home Fowler with a single up the middle two batters later to cap the scoring.
Colorado struck first in its first at-bat. Tyler Colvin roped a one-out single and Tulowitzki singled two batters later to put runners on the corners. Giambi then brought home Colvin with a single into right field to get the Rockies off to a good start.
Milwaukee answered with a run in the fourth when Braun walked to lead off the frame and stole second. After Hart grounded out, Gamel came through with a single that dropped into right field, allowing Braun to score.
"We had the opportunities, we got the guys coming up in our lineup that can drive runs in," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "It's always tough when you don't have many opportunities and you have that one shot at it and you don't do it."
The Brewers fell to 4-5 at home this season...Brewers starter Yovani Gallardo yielded just one run on six hits and one walk while fanning eight over seven innings...Colorado finished 3-for-11 with runners in scoring position while stranding nine...Milwaukee was 1-for-8 with men in scoring position and left seven on base.
- COLORADO: 4
Apr 22 5:29 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to center scored Dexter Fowler. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 4, Brewers 1 Top 9, 1 OutApr 22 5:18 PM
- Michael Cuddyer doubled to center scored Troy Tulowitzki and Jason Giambi. Runner on second with one out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Rockies 3, Brewers 1 Top 8, 1 OutApr 22 4:43 PM
- Mat Gamel singled to right scored Ryan Braun. Runner on first with two outs and Alex Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 1, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 22 3:40 PM
- Michael Cuddyer struck out looking to end the inning.
Rockies 1, Brewers 0 Mid 1Apr 22 2:35 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 22 2:25 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21