Dodgers top RockiesMay 12, 2012 - 6:41 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Capuano tossed seven innings of one- run ball as the Los Angeles Dodgers topped the Colorado Rockies, 7-3, to open a three-game series at Dodger Stadium.
Capuano (5-0) allowed four hits and did not issue a walk while striking out three for the Dodgers to remain undefeated on the season.
"Give credit to their left-handed starter. He pitched terrific," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said about Capuano.
Mark Ellis homered and knocked in three runs, while Andre Ethier also went deep and finished with two RBI for Los Angeles, which has won two straight and four of its last six.
Jamie Moyer (1-3) gave up five runs on seven hits and a walk with seven strikeouts through five innings for the Rockies, who lost for the sixth time in seven games.
"He wants you to swing at a ball off the plate," Ellis said about Moyer. "He works those edges really well and the main thing you have to do is see the ball up and not give in to him throwing the ball off the plate."
The Dodgers struck first on Ellis' solo homer over the left-field wall in the bottom of the first and then added to their lead in the fourth inning when Ethier hit a two-out double and came home on Bobby Abreu's base hit to left field.
After James Loney and Matt Treanor started the fifth with back-to-back singles, Capuano attempted to advance the runners with a sacrifice bunt, but Todd Helton fielded the ball and threw to third for the force. Two batters later, Ellis smacked a double off the left-center field wall to plate Treanor and Capuano.
Matt Kemp was then intentionally walked before Ethier singled in Ellis to give Los Angeles a 5-0 advantage.
The Rockies got on the board in the seventh inning on Michael Cuddyer's two- out blast over the left-field wall, but Los Angeles answered in the home seventh with an Ethier solo shot off reliever Carlos Torres and Juan Uribe added a leadoff shot in the eighth.
Cuddyer's sacrifice fly and a Dexter Fowler RBI triple in the ninth inning finalized the scoring.
Both teams made roster moves on Friday as Los Angeles placed infielder/outfielder Jerry Hairston Jr. on the 15-day disabled list and recalled infielder Justin Sellers from Triple-A Albuquerque, and Colorado reinstated pitcher Josh Outman off the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Drew Pomeranz to Triple-A Colorado Springs...The Dodgers improved to 6-1 in Capuano's seven starts this season...Moyer fell to 3-7 in 14 career starts against Los Angeles.
- COLORADO: 3
LOS ANGELES: 7
May 12 1:01 AM
- Dexter Fowler tripled to right scored Todd Helton. Runner on third with two outs and Chris Nelson due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 7 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 12 12:58 AM
- Michael Cuddyer sacrifice fly foul out to right scored Troy Tulowitzki. Runner on first with one out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Rockies 2, Dodgers 7 Top 9, 1 OutMay 12 12:52 AM
- Juan Uribe lead-off Home Run (1) to center. James Loney due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 12 12:44 AM
- Andre Ethier two-out, solo Home Run (7) to center. Bobby Abreu due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 12 12:18 AM
- Michael Cuddyer two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Ramon Hernandez due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 5 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 12 12:09 AM
- Andre Ethier singled to right center scored Mark Ellis. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Bobby Abreu due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 11 11:37 PM
- Mark Ellis doubled to left center scored Matt Treanor and Chris Capuano. Runner on second with two outs and Matt Kemp due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 11 11:35 PM
- Bobby Abreu singled to left scored Andre Ethier. Runner on first with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 11 11:19 PM
- Mark Ellis one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Matt Kemp due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 11 10:28 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 10:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22