Seager, M's down RockiesMay 20, 2012 - 1:53 AM
Jesus Montero had an RBI single among his three hits. Casper Wells and Dustin Ackley added two RBI apiece and starter Jason Vargas helped his own cause with an RBI base hit for the Mariners, who have taken the first two games of this series after losing four straight.
"Offensively I was very pleased with us up and down the lineup," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "I thought we took good, aggressive swings. We squared up some fastballs and took some breaking balls. There was a lot to like out there."
Vargas (5-3) allowed three runs on five hits and one walk while fanning one over seven solid innings. Shawn Kelley worked a perfect eighth and Steve Delabar closed it out in the ninth for the M's.
Wilin Rosario crushed a two-run homer and Jordan Pacheco added an RBI single for the Rockies, who have lost three consecutive games.
Christian Friedrich (1-1) was tagged for eight runs on nine hits and four walks while striking out three in just five innings to take the loss.
Seattle jumped out in front with two runs in the second inning. Montero worked a leadoff walk and Seager followed by blasting a fastball from Friedrich into the seats beyond right-center field.
The Mariners extended their lead to 4-0 in the third with a two-out rally. After Vargas and Ackley fanned, Wells drew a walk and Ichiro Suzuki laced a single up the middle. Montero followed with a base hit to bring home Wells and Seager drove home Suzuki with a single to right.
Brendan Ryan smoked a one-out triple over the head of Rockies center fielder Dexter Fowler in the Seattle fourth and trotted home on a base hit back through the box by Vargas to make it a five-run game.
The Mariners made it a blowout with four runs in the sixth to push the cushion to 9-0. Michael Saunders started the frame with a double and Ryan followed with a base hit. Vargas walked to load the bases, and that spell the end of the day for Friedrich.
Facing Esmil Rodgers, Ackley doubled home Saunders and Ryan, and Wells ripped a single into center to score Ackley and Vargas.
Colorado finally got on the board in the seventh when Jason Giambi ripped a one-out double and came around to score on a single by Pacheco. Rosario followed back depositing a cutter from Vargas into the left field seats to cut the deficit to six.
"We had a couple of base hits off the guy, that's it," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "There was nobody running around on the bases."
The Mariners got the run right back in the eighth when Suzuki reached on a fielder's choice, moved to third on a single by Montero and scored on a passed ball.
The Rockies fell to 4-9 against left handed starters and 11-15 in day games this season...Seattle went 6-for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight, while the Rockies finished 1-for-3 with men in scoring position and left three on base.
- SEATTLE: 10
May 19 6:54 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki scored on a Willin Rosario passed ball with two out. On the play, Jesus Montero advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Kyle Seager at the plate.
Mariners 10, Rockies 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 19 6:30 PM
- Wilin Rosario two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Jordan Pacheco. Esmil Rogers due up.
Mariners 9, Rockies 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 19 6:17 PM
- Jordan Pacheco single to left scored Jason Giambi with two out. Runner on first and Wilin Rosario due up.
Mariners 9, Rockies 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 19 6:16 PM
- Casper Wells single to center scored Jason Vargas and Dustin Ackley with none out. Runner on first and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Mariners 9, Rockies 0 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 19 5:48 PM
- Dustin Ackley double to left scored Michael Saunders and Brendan Ryan with none out. On the play, Jason Vargas advances to third. Runners on second and third with Casper Wells due up.
Mariners 7, Rockies 0 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 19 5:47 PM
- Dustin Ackley flied out to center. Runner on first with two outs and Casper Wells due up.
Mariners 5, Rockies 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 19 5:16 PM
- Kyle Seager single to right scored Ichiro Suzuki with two out. On the play, Jesus Montero advances to second. Runners on first and second with Alex Liddi due up.
Mariners 4, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 19 5:01 PM
- Jesus Montero single to center scored Casper Wells with two out. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to second. Runners on first and second with Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 3, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 19 4:57 PM
- Alex Liddi struck out looking. None on with one out and Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 2, Rockies 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 19 4:30 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 4:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21