Mariners top RockiesMay 21, 2012 - 12:16 AM
Jesus Montero crushed a two-run homer and Mike Carp added a solo shot for the Mariners, who have won three straight after dropping their previous four.
Blake Beavan (2-4) allowed a pair of runs while scattering seven hits and yielding one walk. He fanned seven over five-plus innings to earn the win. Brandon League allowed two runs on four hits in the ninth but fanned Todd Helton with two runners on to preserve the win for Seattle.
"He battled," Mariners manger Eric Wedge said. "He didn't have his best stuff and definitely didn't have his fastball. He didn't give in, continued to mix his pitches and got us into the sixth inning."
Carlos Gonzalez finished 3-for-5 with a solo home run and two RBI, Dexter Fowler crushed a pinch-hit solo shot and Jordan Pacheco added an RBI single for the Rockies, who have lost four in a row. Michael Cuddyer had three hits in the loss.
Jeremy Guthrie (2-2) allowed six runs on seven hits and two walks while fanning four in six innings of work to take the loss.
Seattle quickly opened the scoring, plating a pair of runs in its first at- bat. Dustin Ackley led off the frame with a double and Kyle Seager walked to put M's on the corners with two down. Seager then stole second and scampered to third on a throwing gaffe by Marco Scutaro, which also allowed Ackley to come home with the first run of the game. Montero was then hit by a pitch and Smoak followed with a base hit up the middle to score Seager.
The Rockies got a run back in the home half of the inning when Gonzalez squared-up a fastball from Beaven and sent it deep over the wall in center field for a 2-1 game.
But the Mariners got that run back plus two in the third when Ichiro Suzuki doubled and Montero crushed a Guthrie offering over the left field wall to make it 4-1. Smoak then followed by hammering a fastball deep into the seats in right to make it a four-run game.
Colorado pulled a run closer in the fourth when Cuddyer clubbed a one-out double and came around to score on a single by Pacheco to make it 5-2.
Carp extended the M's lead to four again in the sixth when he waited on a hanging curveball from Guthrie and banged it deep and over the wall in left field.
Fowler crushed a splitter from League into the right field seats in the ninth to make it 6-3. Eric Young Jr. slapped a single up the middle and pinch-hitter Jason Giambi followed with a base hit to left to put runners on the corners. Gonzalez hammered the first pitch he saw from League up the middle to score Young and bring the Rockies a run closer.
After getting Troy Tulowitzki to ground into a fielder's choice, it came down to Helton against League with runners on the corners. The future Hall-of-Famer battled League for eight pitches before striking out on a 96 mile-per-hour fastball to end the game.
"We have to (turn things around), we're not playing well," Helton said. "You put pressure on yourself to go out and win some games, but we just have to start playing a little better."
Prior to Sunday's game, the Rockies recalled pitcher Adam Ottavino from Triple-A Colorado Springs and optioned pitcher Rex Brothers to the farm club...It was Gonzalez's first home run since May 2 against the Los Angeles Dodgers...Colorado went 2-for-16 with runners in scoring position and left 10 on base.
- SEATTLE: 6
May 20 6:09 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second Carlos Gonzalez out at second and Alex White advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Todd Helton due up.
Mariners 6, Rockies 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 20 6:07 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Dexter Fowler one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Eric Young Jr. due up.
Mariners 6, Rockies 3 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 20 6:00 PM
- Mike Carp one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 6, Rockies 2 Top 6, 1 OutMay 20 4:53 PM
- Jordan Pacheco singled to left scored Michael Cuddyer. Runner on first with two outs and Jeremy Guthrie due up.
Mariners 5, Rockies 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 20 4:26 PM
- Justin Smoak two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Mike Carp due up.
Mariners 5, Rockies 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 20 3:59 PM
- Jesus Montero two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Ichiro Suzuki. Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 4, Rockies 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 20 3:57 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez two-out, solo Home Run (8) to center. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Mariners 2, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 20 3:32 PM
- Justin Smoak singled to center scored Kyle Seager. On the play, Jesus Montero advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Mike Carp due up.
Mariners 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 20 3:27 PM
- Kyle Seager stole second advances to third on Marco Scutaro's throwing error. On the play, Dustin Ackley stole home. Runner on third with two outs and Jesus Montero at the plate.
Mariners 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 20 3:26 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 3:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21