Gonzalez homers again, Rockies sweep AstrosJun 1, 2012 - 6:38 AM
Just one night after hitting three home runs, Gonzalez went 3-for-4 with three runs scored. He finished the series 11-for-18 with four homers, eight RBI and seven runs scored.
Michael Cuddyer added three hits, three RBI and two runs scored while Marco Scutaro hit a solo home run for the Rockies, who have won six of eight.
Jeremy Guthrie (3-3) benefited from the run support as he gave up five runs on 12 hits over seven innings.
"We got a solid outing from (Guthrie) and we continued to swing the bats," said Rockies manager Jim Tracy.
J.D. Martinez hit a solo home run while Jose Altuve added three hits and an RBI for the Astros, who have lost six straight.
Bud Norris (5-2) was torched for nine runs in just 1 2/3 innings as he lost for the first time since April 24. He was 4-0 with a 1.17 earned run average in May coming into the game.
Colorado wasted little time grabbing the lead as Gonzalez continued with his hot batting in the first inning. After the first two batters reached base, Gonzalez blasted a shot over the wall in left four his fourth home run in as many at-bats, the first time ever for a Rockie.
The team wasn't done, though, as Todd Helton and Jordan Pacheco each hit an RBI double and the Rockies had a 5-0 lead.
"We have done some significant offensive damage over the first innings of games here over the last 10 ball games," continued Tracy.
After Martinez hit a solo shot in the second to get Houston on the board, the Rockies added four more in the bottom of the inning.
With two on and one out, Cuddyer drove home both runners with a double and came home when Wilin Rosario singled. An RBI single later in the inning from Pacheco made it a 9-1 contest.
Houston got three runs back in the fourth. Jason Castro hit an RBI triple and scored on a Justin Maxwell double. Altuve later singled in Maxwell to make it a 9-4 game.
The Rockies, though, got one back in the fourth on an RBI single from Cuddyer and Scutaro led off the sixth with his second homer of the year for an 11-4 lead.
Carlos Lee's RBI groundout in the seventh accounted for the final score.
Colorado won five of seven from Houston this season...Colorado hosts Los Angeles for three games starting on Friday...Houston returns home to face Cincinnati for three games starting on Friday...Gonzalez raised his average to .332 on the season and has 14 homers and 44 RBI...Before the game, Colorado placed shortstop Troy Tulowitzki on the 15-day disabled list and activated infielder Chris Nelson from the 15-day disabled list.
- HOUSTON: 5
May 31 11:39 PM
- Carlos Lee double play to short scored Jordan Schafer. Jed Lowrie out at second Jose Altuve advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 5, Rockies 11 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 31 10:57 PM
- Marco Scutaro lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Astros 4, Rockies 11 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 31 10:37 PM
- Todd Helton grounded into a double play, third to second to first. On the play, Michael Cuddyer out at second. None on with two outs and Wilin Rosario due up.
Astros 4, Rockies 10 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 31 10:13 PM
- Jose Altuve single to right scored Justin Maxwell with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Jed Lowrie due up.
Astros 4, Rockies 9 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 31 10:03 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Justin Maxwell double to right scored Jason Castro with one out. Runner on second with one out and Jordan Schafer due up.
Astros 3, Rockies 9 Top 4, 1 OutMay 31 10:00 PM
- Jason Castro triple to right center scored Brian Bogusevic with one out. Runner on third with one out and Rhiner Cruz due up.
Astros 2, Rockies 9 Top 4, 1 OutMay 31 9:59 PM
- Jordan Pacheco single to center scored Wilin Rosario with two out. Runner on second with two outs and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Astros 1, Rockies 9 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 31 9:36 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to right scored Michael Cuddyer with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Astros 1, Rockies 8 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 31 9:29 PM
- Michael Cuddyer double to right center scored Dexter Fowler and Carlos Gonzalez with one out. Runner on second with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Astros 1, Rockies 7 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 31 9:25 PM
- J.D. Martinez one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Jason Castro due up.
Astros 1, Rockies 5 Top 2, 1 OutMay 31 9:11 PM
- Jordan Pacheco ground-rule double to center scored Todd Helton with one out. Runner on second with one out and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Astros 0, Rockies 5 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 31 9:01 PM
- Todd Helton double to left center scored Michael Cuddyer with none out. Runner on second with none out and Wilin Rosario due up.
Astros 0, Rockies 4 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 31 8:56 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez none-out, three-run Home Run (14) to left scored Dexter Fowler and Marco Scutaro. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Astros 0, Rockies 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 31 8:54 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 31 8:39 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21