Dodgers down Rockies to snap skidJun 3, 2012 - 1:25 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Aaron Harang tossed six innings of one-run ball as the Los Angeles Dodgers took down the Colorado Rockies, 6-2, in the middle tilt of a three-game set at Coors Field.
Harang (4-3) allowed just four hits and three walks while striking out six. Javy Guerra allowed a run in the seventh, but Kenley Jansen closed it out in the ninth for Los Angeles, which snapped a five-game skid.
Elian Herrera went 2-for-5 with a pair of RBI, Andre Ethier knocked in a pair to go with his two hits, Bobby Abreu hit a solo homer and Adam Kennedy contributed an RBI base hit in the win.
Juan Nicasio (2-3) allowed three runs -- two earned -- on four hits and a walk in just 1 2/3 innings. He left the game in the second inning with a strained left knee and was replaced on the mound by Josh Roenicke.
Michael Cuddyer and Wilin Rosario had RBI doubles for the Rockies, who had their five-game winning streak halted.
Tony Gwynn Jr. began the top of the first inning by reaching on an error by second baseman D.J. LeMahieu and Abreu followed with a walk. Ethier then brought home the speedy Gwynn with a base hit into right field.
Dexter Fowler led off the bottom of the first with a triple into the right field corner and scored on a Cuddyer double, but the Dodgers took the lead for good in the second.
A.J. Ellis began the frame with a base hit, Dee Gordon followed with a single and both runners moved up on a sacrifice bunt by Harang. After Gwynn reached on a fielder's choice and swiped second, Herrera came up with a clutch two- out, two-run single up the middle for a 3-1 lead.
"Herrera's been solid," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "He's done a good job and given us quality at-bats when we needed them."
With two outs in the fourth, Gwynn and Abreu walked around a double by Herrera to load the bases. Ethier followed with a walk to plate Gwynn.
Colorado squandered an outstanding scoring opportunity in the fifth as a single by LeMahieu and walks to Fowler and Marco Scutaro loaded the bags with one out. Harang worked his way out of trouble by getting Carlos Gonzalez to foul out before inducing an inning-ending groundout from Cuddyer to keep it a three-run game.
"We were trailing, we had the bases loaded and the two guys up that you would want to have up there," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "But we missed (an opportunity) there and gave them two more runs in the top of the sixth."
The Dodgers added two more runs in the sixth to extend their lead to 6-1. Abreu cracked a 3-1 fastball from Rockies reliever Matt Reynolds and deposited it into the left field seats. Ethier followed with a double and came home on a base hit by Kennedy.
Colorado pulled a run back in the seventh when LeMahieu slapped a single up the middle and scored on a double by Rosario. Scott Elbert escaped a jam later in the inning by getting Gonzalez to ground into an inning-ending double play.
Colorado fell to 5-13 in day games this season...Herrera has 19 hits in 17 games played this season...Abreu's home run was his first in a Dodgers uniform...Los Angeles went 3-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left 10 on base, while Colorado went 1-for-8 and stranded seven.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Jun 2 7:40 PM
- Wilin Rosario doubled to center scoring DJ LeMahieu with none out. Runner on second and Dexter Fowler due up.
Dodgers 6, Rockies 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 2 6:58 PM
- James Loney lined out to left to end the inning.
Dodgers 6, Rockies 1 Mid 6Jun 2 6:37 PM
- Bobby Abreu two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 2 6:29 PM
- Andre Ethier walked scoring Tony Gwynn Jr. with two out. Bases loaded and Adam Kennedy due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 2 5:48 PM
- Elian Herrera singled to center scoring Dee Gordon and Tony Gwynn Jr. with two out. Runner on first and Bobby Abreu due up.
Dodgers 3, Rockies 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 2 4:55 PM
- Michael Cuddyer doubled to left scoring Dexter Fowler with two out. Runner on second and Tyler Colvin due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 2 4:40 PM
- Andre Ethier singled to right scoring Tony Gwynn Jr. with one out. On the play, Bobby Abreu advances to second. Runners on first and second and Adam Kennedy due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 2 4:22 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 2 4:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22