Pujols, Angels light up FrancisJun 10, 2012 - 1:56 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Albert Pujols smacked two hits, including a two- run homer, and had four RBI and two runs scored as the LA Angels of Anaheim spoiled Jeff Francis' return to Colorado with an 11-5 win over the Rockies in the middle installment of a three-game interleague set.
Mike Trout and Torii Hunter both registered three hits and three runs scored for the Angels, who have won three of four. Alberto Callaspo and Howie Kendrick also had three hits to go with a run scored apiece.
Dan Haren (4-6) wobbled through 5 1/3 innings, surrendering four solo homers among his 10 hits allowed, but got the win. He fanned four and walked one.
Francis (0-1), who spent the first six years of his MLB career with Colorado and is fourth on the franchise's win list with 55, was shelled for eight runs on 10 hits and a walk in just 3 1/3 frames.
"I know I've got a lot more than that to offer this team," said Francis. "I'll continue to work hard to bounce back from it."
Tyler Colvin hit two homers, while Carlos Gonzalez, Marco Scutaro and Chris Nelson also went deep for the Rockies, who have dropped four in a row.
The Angels pushed across at least a run in each of the first four frames and held an 8-2 advantage heading into the fifth.
Pujols brought home a run with a sacrifice fly and Hunter crossed the plate on a Francis wild pitch to make it 2-0 in favor of the Angels before Scutaro pulverized a solo shot off the foul pole in left, which cut the deficit to 2-1 after an inning of play.
Trout slapped a two-out, two-run single to center while Pujols' run-scoring base hit pushed the Angels' margin to 5-1 in the second.
"When you're winning, the attitude is a lot better," said Trout. "We're coming together as a team, hitting and pitching well and it's been awesome."
Once again, the Rockies got a run back in the home half as Colvin belted a leadoff homer to right-center, cutting the margin to 5-2.
RBI groundouts by Erick Ayber and Mark Trumbo in the third and fourth, respectively, padded the Angels lead before Kendrick's run-scoring base hit to center made it 8-2.
Gonzalez and Nelson's solo homers in the fifth and sixth, respectively, were sandwiched around Pujols' two-run opposite-field blast in the sixth.
Colvin's second round-tripper in the seventh came before Trumbo's RBI groundout in the eighth, which concluded the scoring.
With Colorado, the 31-year-old Francis posted a 55-50 mark to go with a 4.77 ERA and 603 strikeouts in 882 2/3 innings pitched. Francis spent last season with the Kansas City Royals, registering a 6-16 record with a 4.82 ERA and 91 strikeouts in 183 innings pitched...Before the game, the Rockies designated pitcher Esmil Rogers for assignment...Trout also stole two bases, giving him 13 for the year.
- LOS ANGELES: 11
Jun 9 7:32 PM
- Mark Trumbo grounded out short to first scoring Torii Hunter with two out. None on and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 11, Rockies 5 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 9 7:08 PM
- Tyler Colvin two-out, solo Home Run 2 (5) to left. Wil Nieves due up.
Angels 10, Rockies 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 9 6:59 PM
- Chris Nelson one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Dexter Fowler due up.
Angels 10, Rockies 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 9 6:31 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right center scored Torii Hunter. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 10, Rockies 3 Top 6, 1 OutJun 9 6:10 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (15) to right. Jason Giambi due up.
Angels 8, Rockies 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 9 5:55 PM
- Howie Kendrick singled to center scoring Albert Pujols with two out. Runner on first and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 8, Rockies 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 9 5:30 PM
- Mark Trumbo grounded out first to pitcher scoring Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second. Runner on second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 7, Rockies 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 9 5:30 PM
- Erick Aybar grounded out second to first scoring Howie Kendrick with one out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second. Runner on second and John Hester due up.
Angels 6, Rockies 2 Top 3, 1 OutJun 9 5:01 PM
- Tyler Colvin lead-off Home Run (4) to right center. Wil Nieves due up.
Angels 5, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 9 4:50 PM
- Albert Pujols singled to left scoring Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 5, Rockies 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 9 4:43 PM
- Mike Trout singled to center scoring Alberto Callaspo and John Hester with two out. Runner on first and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 4, Rockies 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 9 4:38 PM
- Marco Scutaro one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Angels 2, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 9 4:24 PM
- Howie Kendrick grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Angels 2, Rockies 0 Mid 1Jun 9 4:18 PM
- Albert Pujols sacrifice fly out to right scored Mike Trout with one out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to third. Runner on third and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 9 4:13 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 9 4:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21