Trumbo powers Angels over RockiesJun 11, 2012 - 1:14 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo smacked a pair of three-run homers and the LA Angels of Anaheim completed a three-game sweep and won their ninth straight road game with a 10-8 triumph over the Colorado Rockies on Sunday.
Torii Hunter drilled a two-run shot among his three hits and added three RBI and three runs scored for the Angels, who have won 14 of their last 18 games.
"It's funny how offense comes in waves," Trumbo said. "Recently, it seems like every time I come up there's a situation to move somebody up or drive somebody in. I really enjoy that because it really narrows my focus a lot more."
Ervin Santana (3-7) was touched for seven runs on nine hits and a walk in 5 2/3 innings.
Christian Friedrich (4-2) was shelled for nine runs -- eight earned -- on 10 hits and three walks for the Rockies, who have dropped five straight contests.
"He had nothing for a strike but a fastball," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "He couldn't get his breaking ball over and had two badly misfired changeups that led to five runs."
Carlos Gonzalez hit a two-run homer while Tyler Colvin added a three-run shot for Colorado.
In a wild first two frames which saw four homers and 12 total runs scored, the game was tied at 6-6 after three, but Los Angeles surged ahead with a three- run fourth.
Hunter singled and Albert Pujols reached on an error before Trumbo launched a towering three-run shot that just cleared the fence and Gonzalez's outstretched glove in left for a 9-6 Los Angeles edge.
Colorado got a run back in the bottom half of the inning on Marco Scutaro's sacrifice fly, but Santana and the the Angels' bullpen clamped down and surrendered just a run over the final five frames.
Scutaro slapped a single to center to cut the deficit to 10-8 in the ninth, but Scott Downs was able to get Gonzalez on a bizarre double play.
Gonzalez laced a liner back to the mound, which Downs appeared to snag. He lost the ball on the transfer from his glove to his hand as he attempted to double up Scutaro at first, but the umpire ruled that he did not make the catch.
With Scutaro at first and Gonzalez not running out of the box, the Angels turned a 1-6-3 double play. An Tracy came out to argue the call and was ejected.
Todd Helton then popped out to end the game, giving Downs his sixth save of the season.
Earlier, Hunter poked an RBI single in the opening frame before Trumbo pulverized a hanging slider deep into the seats in left-center for a three-run shot and a 4-0 Angels lead.
Michael Cuddyer's RBI double in home half preceded Hunter's two-run blast over the wall in left-center for a 6-1 Los Angeles advantage in the second.
The Rockies, though, tied the score with a five-run bottom half as Colvin and Gonzalez drilled a three-run shot and two-run blast, respectively, into the rocks in dead center to knot the contest at 6-6.
This was Trumbo's second career multi-homer game...Colvin has hit three homers in his last two games...The Angels plated 28 runs in the three-game series...Los Angeles was 5-for-15 with runners in scoring position while Colorado finished 4-for-11 with RISP.
- LOS ANGELES: 10
Jun 10 6:45 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to center scored Tyler Colvin with none out. Runner on first and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Angels 10, Rockies 8 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 10 6:37 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to right scored Albert Pujols with one out. Runner on first and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 10, Rockies 7 Top 8, 1 OutJun 10 6:07 PM
- Marco Scutaro sacrifice fly out to center scored Eric Young Jr. with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Angels 9, Rockies 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 10 4:44 PM
- Mark Trumbo none-out, three-run Home Run 2 (14) to left scored Torii Hunter and Albert Pujols. Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 9, Rockies 6 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 10 4:31 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to center scored Marco Scutaro. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Angels 6, Rockies 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 10 4:02 PM
- Torii Hunter one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left scored Mike Trout. Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 6, Rockies 1 Top 2, 1 OutJun 10 3:46 PM
- Michael Cuddyer double to left scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second and Todd Helton due up.
Angels 4, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 10 3:36 PM
- Howie Kendrick singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 4, Rockies 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 10 3:21 PM
- Torii Hunter single to left scored Mike Trout with none out. Runner on first and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 10 3:16 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 3:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21