Rutledge, Rosario power Rockies past CardinalsAug 3, 2012 - 5:36 AM
Jordan Pacheco went 3-for-3 with two RBI and a run scored while Tyler Colvin added two hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Rockies, who snapped a five- game slide and won for just the second time in the past 10 games.
Alex White went 5 1/3 innings in the start and gave up two runs on five hits. Rex Brothers (6-2) got the win for pitching 1 2/3 scoreless innings.
"I know our record is what it is, but when we pitch well the whole atmosphere changes," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy. "With that being said, White did a terrific job tonight and that was the key to our win here."
Jon Jay and Carlos Beltran each drove in a run for the Cardinals, who had won six of eight coming in.
"They've been hitting real well lately," said St. Louis manager Mike Matheny of the middle of his lineup. "They've been putting up some terrific numbers and we need the other guys to do it too."
Lance Lynn was charged with two runs on seven hits with four walks and four strikeouts over six innings. Fernando Salas (1-4) was touched for three runs to take the loss.
With the score tied in the seventh, the Rockies went ahead with Salas on the mound. D.J. LeMahieu led off with a single and moved to second on a sac bunt from Eric Young. Colvin then doubled home LeMahieu and Rutledge followed with his fifth homer of the season for a 5-2 edge.
Colorado padded its lead with three more runs in the eighth as Ramon Hernandez doubled home one and Rosario later added a pinch-hit homer for an 8-2 advantage.
The Cardinals went down in order in the ninth against Rafael Betancourt.
Pacheco doubled home Carlos Gonzalez in the fourth inning to give Colorado a 1-0 lead.
In the sixth, the Cardinals took the lead. Skip Schumaker singled with one out and Jay followed with a triple that was just out of the reach of a diving Dexter Fowler in center. Beltran later doubled to bring home Jay for a 2-1 advantage.
Colorado, though, tied the game in the sixth as Fowler walked to start the frame, moved to third on a Gonzalez single and came home thanks to a sac fly from Pacheco.
Rutledge has hit homers in four straight games, a Colorado rookie record...St. Louis took five of seven from Colorado this season...Colorado hosts San Francisco for three games starting on Friday...St. Louis, which went 3-3 on its road trip, head home to open a seven-game homestand starting with three against Milwaukee on Friday.
- ST. LOUIS: 2
Aug 2 11:28 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Wilin Rosario two-out, two-run Home Run (17) to center scored Ramon Hernandez. Tyler Colvin due up.
Cardinals 2, Rockies 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 2 11:18 PM
- Ramon Hernandez double to right scored Jordan Pacheco with one out. Runner on second and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Cardinals 2, Rockies 6 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 2 11:12 PM
- Barret Browning enters the game for the Cardinals with none on and one out.
Cardinals 2, Rockies 5 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 2 10:57 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez caught stealing second. None on with two outs and Todd Helton at the plate.
Cardinals 2, Rockies 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 2 10:30 PM
- Carlos Beltran double to left scored Jon Jay with one out. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to third. Runners on second and third and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 2, Rockies 1 Top 6, 1 OutAug 2 10:12 PM
- Matt Holliday intentionally walked. Runners on first and third with one out and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 1, Rockies 1 Top 6, 1 OutAug 2 10:10 PM
- Jordan Pacheco double to right scored Carlos Gonzalez with one out. Runner on second and Todd Helton due up.
Cardinals 0, Rockies 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 2 9:41 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 8:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21