Gonzalez, Rockies flatten BrewersAug 15, 2012 - 5:39 AM
Gonzalez, Eric Young Jr., Wilin Rosario and Jordan Pacheco each drove in two runs for the Rockies, who took the series opener, 9-6, on Monday.
Tyler Chatwood (3-2) picked up his second straight win after holding the Brewers to two runs -- one earned -- on four hits in six innings. The right- hander struck out three and did not issue a walk.
"By far his best outing as a Rockie," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "First- pitch strikes tonight, command with his fastball. Pitched six innings. Even his misses were competitive."
The Rockies roughed up Randy Wolf (3-9) for six runs on 10 hits and a walk in five innings. The lefty has only won one of his last 19 starts.
"Nothing is going right for him. He's not throwing as bad as what his numbers show," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said about Wolf.
Martin Maldonado laced his seventh home run of this season and drove in two runs for the Brewers, who have lost four of their last five games.
The Rockies jumped on Wolf for four runs in the first inning. Young led off with a double before Wolf hit Josh Rutledge. After Dexter Fowler advanced the runners with a bunt, Gonzalez lined a single to right field to score two. Rosario doubled home Gonzalez and Pacheco grounded a base hit to right field to put Colorado up four.
Milwaukee got a run back in the third inning when Norichika Aoki plated Carlos Gomez with a bunt single, but the Rockies quickly responded.
In the bottom half of the third, Fowler delivered a one-out single and advanced to third when Gonzalez singled. Pacheco dropped a base hit into right field to re-establish Colorado's four-run lead.
Maldonado lined a breaking ball over the left-field fence in the fifth, but Rosario got the run back in the bottom half of the frame when he crushed a 3-0 fastball out to center field.
Young slammed a no-doubt, two-run homer to right in the sixth inning to open up an 8-2 lead.
Maldonado grounded into a double play in the seventh inning that scored Aramis Ramirez, who led off with a double, to close within five runs.
The Brewers loaded the bases with one out in the eighth, but Matt Belisle struck out Ryan Braun and Ramirez to end the threat.
Milwaukee put together a threat in the ninth. Corey Hart singled and scored on Maldonado's double. Gomez followed with a base hit to chase Rex Brothers. Rafael Betancourt entered and, after retiring Jean Segura, allowed back-to- back base hits to Jonathan Lucroy and Aoki, shrinking Colorado's lead to two and putting the tying run on first base.
Betancourt survived, though, getting Rickie Weeks to fly out to shallow left field and Braun to fly out to center to wrap up his 21st save.
Chatwood picked up his first career hit with a one-out double in the fourth inning ... Gonzalez tied his career high with his 12th four-hit game ... Wolf has not won since July 17 ... Young, who went 3-for-5, picked up his fourth straight multi-hit game and eighth in his last 10 starts.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
Aug 14 11:48 PM
- Norichika Aoki singled to right scoring Carlos Gomez with one out. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 6, Rockies 8 Top 9, 1 OutAug 14 11:44 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jonathan Lucroy singled to left scoring Martin Maldonado with one out. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 5, Rockies 8 Top 9, 1 OutAug 14 11:44 PM
- Martin Maldonado doubled to left scoring Corey Hart with none out. Runner on second and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 4, Rockies 8 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 14 11:31 PM
- Martin Maldonado grounded into a double play, short to second to first, scoring Aramis Ramirez with two out. Corey Hart out at second. None on and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 3, Rockies 8 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 14 10:35 PM
- Eric Young Jr. two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Chris Nelson. Josh Rutledge due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 14 10:28 PM
- Wilin Rosario two-out, solo Home Run (19) to center. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 14 10:10 PM
- Martin Maldonado lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 5 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 14 10:00 PM
- Jordan Pacheco singled to right scoring Dexter Fowler with two out. On the play, Wilin Rosario advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Nelson due up.
Brewers 1, Rockies 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 14 9:37 PM
- Norichika Aoki bunt singled to pitcher scoring Carlos Gomez with two out. Runner on first and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 1, Rockies 4 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 14 9:22 PM
- Jordan Pacheco singled to right scoring Wilin Rosario with one out. Runner on first and Chris Nelson due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 4 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 14 8:59 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to right scoring Eric Young Jr. and Josh Rutledge with one out. Runner on first and Wilin Rosario due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 14 8:57 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 8:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21