Rockies beat Mets in Chacin's returnAug 22, 2012 - 5:24 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Dexter Fowler drove in a pair of runs as the Colorado Rockies took a 6-2 win over the New York Mets in the second of a four-game set.
Charlie Blackmon scored twice and drove in a run while Jonathan Herrera had an RBI and a run scored for the Rockies, who have won three straight.
Jhoulys Chacin (1-3) was activated from the disabled list before the game and got his first win of the year as he gave up just one run on four hits over six innings.
"The win came about thanks to the starting pitching we got tonight," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy. "It was so nice to see him back on the mound and pitch as well as he did."
Daniel Murphy and Andres Torres each drove in a run for the Mets, who have dropped six of their last eight. Chris Young (3-7) gave up four runs -- two earned -- on five hits with a walk over seven innings in the loss.
Young carried a perfect game into the sixth inning, but it then fell apart starting with a leadoff single by D.J. LeMahieu. Herrera followed with a single and Chacin laid down a bunt which Young fielded, but he threw it away and LeMahieu came home to tie the game.
It didn't stay tied long, though, as Blackmon dropped a bloop single to shallow left to plate Herrera. Two batters later, Fowler singled home another run and Ramon Hernandez followed with a sacrifice fly to open up a 4-1 lead.
"After he made the throwing error, they just kept pecking away at him," said Mets manager Terry Collins about Young. "They got some hits and ran the bases real well from then on."
The Mets almost got a run back in the bottom of the sixth as David Wright singled with Ruben Tejada on second, but Andrew Brown gunned down Tejada at home to end the inning.
New York did get one back in the seventh on a sac fly from Torres that scored Jordany Valdespin, who doubled and stole third, but Fowler answered in the eighth with an RBI single to score Blackmon, who doubled two batter prior, for a 5-2 game.
Brown doubled to start the ninth and moved to third on a sac bunt from LeMahieu. Herrera then hit a grounder to first and Brown was caught in a run- down between third and home, but no one was covering the plate on Wright's throw back to home and it was a 6-2 game.
Rex Brothers set the Mets down quietly in the ninth to end the game.
The Mets got the first run of the game in the fourth inning when Murphy's sacrifice fly scored Tejada.
Collins was ejected in the fifth inning after arguing a run-down call ... Chacin had been out since early May with right shoulder inflammation. The team also placed outfielder Eric Young Jr. on the 15-day disabled list for a left intercostals muscle strain ... Colorado has won three of the five games against New York this season ... On Monday, the Mets recalled pitcher Robert Carson from Triple-A Buffalo and placed pitcher Jeremy Hefner on the paternity leave list.
- COLORADO: 6
NEW YORK: 2
Aug 21 9:51 PM
- Jonathan Herrera grounded into a fielder's choice scored Andrew Brown. On the play, Jonathan Herrera advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Matt Belisle due up.
Rockies 6, Mets 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 21 9:41 PM
- Dexter Fowler singled to left scored Charlie Blackmon. Runner on first with one out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Rockies 5, Mets 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 21 9:16 PM
- Andres Torres sacrifice fly out to center scored Jordany Valdespin. None on with two outs and Josh Thole due up.
Rockies 4, Mets 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 21 9:07 PM
- Mike Baxter flied out to center. None on with one out and Ruben Tejada due up.
Rockies 4, Mets 1 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 21 8:42 PM
- Dexter Fowler singled to right scored Jhoulys Chacin. On the play, Charlie Blackmon advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Rockies 3, Mets 1 Top 6, 1 OutAug 21 8:34 PM
- Charlie Blackmon stole second. Runners on second and third with none out and Jordan Pacheco at the plate.
Rockies 2, Mets 1 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 21 8:30 PM
- Daniel Murphy sacrifice fly out to left scored Ruben Tejada. Runner on first with two outs and Jordany Valdespin due up.
Rockies 0, Mets 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 21 8:01 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 21 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21