Quentin helps Padres edge RockiesSep 1, 2012 - 6:06 AM
Cameron Maybin added three hits and a run scored while Chase Headley had an RBI and a run scored for the Padres, who have won 10 of their last 11. Clayton Richard (12-12) won his third straight start as he gave up three runs on eight hits with a pair of walks and strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings.
Jordan Pacheco, Wilin Rosario and Andrew Brown all homered for the Rockies, who have lost their past two. Alex White (2-7) gave up three runs on four hits with three walks in just 3 2/3 innings of work.
"Command of the strike zone was not very good," White admitted. "When I do that, I get behind and that gets me in tough situations."
San Diego held a 4-3 lead going into the eighth and tacked on an insurance run in the frame when Maybin doubled and later scored on a Chris Denorfia single.
"That's what (Maybin) has to do, he's got to utilize his legs," San Diego manager Bud Black said of Maybin's hustle on the game-winning run.
After Tom Layne and Dale Thayer combined to strike out the side in the eighth, Luke Gregerson came on in the ninth to close the game.
Brown led off the frame with his second homer, and D.J. LeMahieu reached base on a bad throw from Everth Cabrera with one out. Gregerson, though, got the next two batters out to pick up his third save of the season.
The Padres went on top in the second when Quentin led off the frame with his 15th career homer and Logan Forsythe singled home Yasmani Grandal later in the frame for a 2-0 lead.
In the third, the Padres made it a 3-0 game as Will Venable hit a one-out triple and scored on a Headley groundout.
Colorado got on the board in the third. Josh Rutledge doubled with one out, moved to third on a wild pitch and came home on a Pacheco groundout.
Carlos Quentin doubled home Headley in the fifth for a three-run advantage, but the Rockies got two back in the sixth on solo homers from Pacheco and Rosario.
San Diego has won eight of the 13 games against the Rockies this season ... San Diego left 10 on base and batted just 3-for-13 with runners in scoring position ... Richard improved to 2-4 in 11 starts against Colorado.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
Aug 31 11:36 PM
- Andrew Brown lead-off Home Run (2) to left with none out. Tyler Colvin due up.
Padres 5, Rockies 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 31 11:29 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Denorfia singled to short scored Cameron Maybin with two outs. On the play, Jesus Guzman advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 5, Rockies 3 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 31 11:07 PM
- Wilin Rosario solo Home Run (23) to left with one out. Chris Nelson due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 31 10:31 PM
- Carlos Quentin ground-ruled double to left scored Chase Headley with one out. Runner on second and Yasmani Grandal due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 31 10:06 PM
- Jordan Pacheco grounded out second to first scored Josh Rutledge with two outs. None on and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 31 9:32 PM
- Chase Headley grounded out short to first scored Will Venable with two outs. None on and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 31 9:22 PM
- Logan Forsythe singled to third scored Yasmani Grandal with one out. Runner on first and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 31 9:06 PM
- Carlos Quentin lead-off Home Run (15) to center. Yasmani Grandal due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 31 8:59 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 8:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22