Fowler slams Rockies past PadresSep 2, 2012 - 4:46 AM
Tyler Colvin went 2-for-4 with a solo home run and three RBI, while Wilin Rosario and Chris Nelson also drove in runs for the Rockies, who have won three of their last five games.
Jhoulys Chacin (2-4) allowed one run on five hits and two walks to win for the second time in his last three starts. He struck out four batters.
"He was unbelievable, that was the best I've seen him," Fowler said of Chacin's effort. "It was definitely a bright spot for us."
Will Venable accounted for the lone run with a home run and Edinson Volquez (9-10) was tagged with the loss after giving up five runs on nine hits with three walks and five strikeouts for San Diego, which had won 10 of its last 11 entering play on Saturday.
Colorado struck first in its first at-bat when Rosario drove home Carlos Gonzalez with a single and Colvin gave the home side a 2-0 lead when he led off the second frame with a towering home run to right field on a first-pitch fastball from Volquez for his 16th long ball of the year.
The Rockies added three more runs in the fifth, expanding the lead to 5-0 Josh Rutledge smacked a one-out base hit and Rosario walked two batters later. Colvin doubled home both runners and then scored on a base hit by Nelson.
The Padres got on the board in the sixth when Venable led off the frame with a shot to left on a hanging slider from Chacin, cutting the Rockies lead to 5-1.
"This year we're seeing more of a consistent approach at the plate," Padres manager Bud Black said regarding Venable. "He's not really tinkering with his swing, and I think it's paid off over the majority of his at-bats."
Colorado made it a rout in the eighth. Jordan Pacheco hit a one-out single and D.J. LeMehieu reached on an error by Everth Cabrera before pinch-hitter Jason Giambi blooped a base hit just fair behind third base to load the bags.
Fowler cleared the bases when he got a fastball from Padres reliever Miles Mikolas and smoked it high over the scoreboard in right field.
Prior to Saturday's game, the Padres activated pitchers Andrew Cashner and Joe Thatcher from the 15-day disabled list. Thatcher fanned Colvin for the final out of the seventh inning ... Giambi was activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to the game. He has not played since July 20 due to a viral syndrome ... It was Chacin's seventh career starts against the Padres ... San Diego finished 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and stranded six on base.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Sep 1 10:41 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Padres 1, Rockies 9 End 8Sep 1 10:34 PM
- Chase Headley walked. Runner on first with none out and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 5 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 1 9:45 PM
- Chris Nelson single scored Tyler Colvin with two outs.
Padres 0, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 1 9:40 PM
- Tyler Colvin double scored Josh Rutledge and Wilin Rosario with two outs.
Padres 0, Rockies 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 1 9:35 PM
- Jordan Pacheco flied out to center. None on with one out and Chris Nelson due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 1 8:38 PM
- Carlos Quentin grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Yasmani Grandal due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 1 Top 2, 1 OutSep 1 8:27 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Sep 1 8:13 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22