Rockies prevail in slugfestSep 3, 2012 - 1:04 AM
Ramon Hernandez and Tyler Colvin each hit two-run homer, while Jordan Pacheco went 2-for-4 with two RBI and Dexter Fowler had a pair of RBI singles among his three hits for the Rockies, who won the final two games of this series.
"It's very exciting," Nelson said. "These are the things you dream about as a kid. I was thinking about it in the on-deck circle, but for it to actually come true is pretty special."
Guillermo Moscoso (1-1) got the win after getting Chris Denorfia to line out for the last out of the seventh inning behind starter Jeff Francis, who lasted just 3 2/3 innings and allowed six runs -- five earned -- on 10 hits. Rafael Betancourt allowed three hits and a run in the ninth, but closed it out for his 27th save.
Chase Headley went 4-for-5 with a career-high six RBI and Alexi Amarista finished 5-for-5 with two RBI and two runs scored for the Padres, who have lost three of their last five.
Brad Brach (1-4) took the loss after allowing two runs on two hits in one inning of relief behind starter Casey Kelly, who surrendered seven runs -- five earned -- on eight hits over 5 2/3 innings.
"I was trying to throw a slider down and away, out of the zone," Brach said. "I just left it up and he put a good swing on it and hit it out."
Trailing, 9-7, the Rockies took the lead in the bottom of the seventh. Carlos Gonzalez was plunked by Tom Layne to start the inning and Pacheco singled up the middle. Brach came on in relief of Layne, but served up a middle-in fastball to Nelson, who crushed it over the wall in straightaway center field to make it 10-9.
Fowler singled in Charlie Blackmon, who walked, to extend the lead to 11-9 after eight frames.
Cameron Maybin hit a two-out single off Betancourt in the ninth and went to second on defensive indifference prior to scoring on a hit by Amarista to cut the deficit to one. Pinch-hitter Mark Kotsay singled, but Betancourt got Denorfia to ground out, ending the game.
Earlier, San Diego opened the scoring with a pair of runs in its first at-bat courtesy of a two-run shot to left by Headley.
Headley struck again for the Padres in the third with an RBI single to make it 3-0, but the Rockies erupted for seven runs in the home third to take a comfortable lead.
Jonathan Herrera started the inning with a free pass and moved into scoring position on sacrifice bunt by Francis before crossing the plate on a single to center by Fowler.
Gonzalez doubled two batters later to put runners on second and third and Pacheco laced a two-bagger down the line in left to plate Josh Rutledge and Gonzalez, tying the game at three. Colvin followed with a towering two-run bomb to right.
Nelson reached on an error by Amarista and Hernandez made the Padres pay for their defensive shakiness as he capped the huge inning with the second two-run homer of the inning to make it 7-3.
The Padres began their comeback with three runs in the fourth inning.
Maybin started the inning with a single and Amarista doubled before Denorfia brought home Maybin with a single. Headley knocked in two more runs later in the inning.
San Diego added two more runs in the sixth to take the lead. Amarista was again the offensive catalyst as he started the frame with a double and scored on a base hit by Logan Forsythe. Headley smacked a base hit into left to bring in Forsythe to make it an 8-7 game.
Amarista singled home Yasmani Grandal in the seventh to extend the lead to 9-7.
Prior to Sunday's game, the Rockies reinstated pitcher Edgmer Escalona from the 15-day disabled list ... It was Kelly's second major league start. In his debut, he threw six shutout innings and got the win on August 27 against the Atlanta Braves ... Colorado went 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left six on base, while the Padres finished 7-for-19 with RISP and stranded nine.
- SAN DIEGO: 10
Sep 2 6:34 PM
- Alexi Amarista singled to left scored Cameron Maybin. Runner on first with two outs and Cory Burns due up.
Padres 10, Rockies 11 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 2 6:31 PM
- Dexter Fowler singled to center scored Charlie Blackmon. Runner on first with none out and Josh Rutledge due up.
Padres 9, Rockies 11 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 2 6:08 PM
- Ramon Hernandez grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Padres 9, Rockies 10 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 2 5:49 PM
- Yonder Alonso enters the game for the Padres to pinch-hit for Nick Vincent.
Padres 9, Rockies 7 Top 7, 1 OutSep 2 5:29 PM
- Chase Headley singled to left scored Logan Forsythe. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 8, Rockies 7 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 2 5:00 PM
- Chase Headley singled to left center scored Alexi Amarista and Chris Denorfia. Runner on second with two outs and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 6, Rockies 7 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 2 4:27 PM
- Chris Denorfia singled to left scored Cameron Maybin. On the play, Alexi Amarista advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Logan Forsythe due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 7 Top 4, 1 OutSep 2 4:21 PM
- Ramon Hernandez two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Chris Nelson. Jonathan Herrera due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 2 4:10 PM
- Tyler Colvin two-out, two-run Home Run (17) to right scored Jordan Pacheco. Chris Nelson due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 2 4:06 PM
- Jordan Pacheco doubled to left scored Josh Rutledge and Carlos Gonzalez. Runner on second with two outs and Tyler Colvin due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 2 4:05 PM
- Dexter Fowler singled to center scored Jonathan Herrera. Runner on first with one out and Josh Rutledge due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 2 4:01 PM
- Chase Headley singled to left scored Logan Forsythe. Runner on first with none out and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 0 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 2 3:49 PM
- Chase Headley one-out, two-run Home Run (23) to left scored Logan Forsythe. Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 2 3:16 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 3:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22