Alonso notches walk-off hit against RockiesSep 17, 2012 - 2:11 AM
The Padres built a six-run lead with a two-out eight-run rally in the fifth, but their advantage was erased when the Rockies scored six in top of the eighth to even the score at 11.
San Diego used eight different pitchers, seven of which combined to give up 11 runs on 11 hits while walking six. Joe Thatcher (1-4) struck out Jason Giambi and Charlie Blackmon in the top of the ninth to position himself for the win.
Matt Belisle (3-7) pitched 1 1/3 innings and put two runners on before Alonso's base hit brought in the winning run. Colorado, which has only won three times in its last 13 games, surrendered 16 hits and walked six as a pitching staff.
"They scored 12, and nine were with two outs. Those types of situations are very difficult to deal with," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
Adam Attavino came in to replace Alex White for the Rockies, who were leading 5-3, to start the bottom of the fifth. After loading the bases Attavino was able to get Alexi Amarista to pop out for the second out, but the Padres got four consecutive hits from John Baker, Andy Parrino, Everth Cabrera and Logan Forsythe to plate six runs before Chase Headley hit a two-run homer to cap an eight-run inning for San Diego.
After going scoreless in the sixth and seventh, the Rockies made their move in the top of eighth. Cory Burns gave up a leadoff single to Chris Nelson, who moved to second after Andrew Brown walked. Nelson came around to score when Cabrera made a throwing error after forcing the runner out at second on Matt McBride's ground out. Burns gave up a hit to DJ LeMahieu to put runners on the corners and was replaced by Tommy Layne.
Layne hit Blackmon to load the bases and then issued a walk to Dexter Fowler to plate McBride from third. Nick Vincent replaced Layne and gave up a grand slam to Josh Rutledge to tie the game at 11.
"You can't take anything for granted, no matter what the score is," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Colorado went 3-for-11 with runners in scoring position while San Diego went 6-for-16 ... The Padres left 11 runners on base while the Rockies stranded 7 ... There was a total of 14 pitchers used in the game.
- COLORADO: 11
SAN DIEGO: 12
Sep 16 7:52 PM
- Yonder Alonso single to left scored Everth Cabrera with two out to end the game.
Rockies 11, Padres 12 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 16 7:52 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Tyler Colvin struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 11, Padres 11 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 16 7:06 PM
- Dexter Fowler walked Matt McBride scored on the play with one out. Bases loaded and Josh Rutledge due up.
Rockies 7, Padres 11 Top 8, 1 OutSep 16 7:01 PM
- Matt McBride grounded into a fielder's choice to short scored Chris Nelson with one out. On the play, McBride advances to second on Everth Cabrera's throwing error Andrew Brown out at second. Runner on second and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Rockies 6, Padres 11 Top 8, 1 OutSep 16 6:57 PM
- Anthony Bass starts the inning for the Padres, batting 9th.
Rockies 5, Padres 11 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 16 6:13 PM
- Everth Cabrera double to right scored John Baker and Andy Parrino with two out. Runner on second and Logan Forsythe due up.
Rockies 5, Padres 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 16 6:00 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Andy Parrino single to center scored Cameron Maybin with two out. On the play, John Baker advances to third and Andy Parrino advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Everth Cabrera due up.
Rockies 5, Padres 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 16 5:58 PM
- Andy Parrino is pinch-hitting for Andrew Werner.
Rockies 5, Padres 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 16 5:56 PM
- Everth Cabrera grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored John Baker with two out. Andrew Werner out at second. Runner on first and Logan Forsythe due up.
Rockies 5, Padres 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 16 5:31 PM
- Cameron Maybin grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Rockies 5, Padres 2 End 3Sep 16 5:12 PM
- Matt McBride two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Andrew Brown. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Rockies 5, Padres 1 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 16 5:01 PM
- Alex White two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Chris Nelson and Andrew Brown. Dexter Fowler due up.
Rockies 3, Padres 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 16 4:42 PM
- Yonder Alonso single to right scored Logan Forsythe with one out. On the play, Chase Headley advances to second. Runners on first and second and Will Venable due up.
Rockies 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 16 4:23 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 4:07 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22