Dodgers blank RockiesSep 30, 2012 - 4:32 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp homered twice, Joe Blanton pitched into the seventh inning, and the Los Angeles Dodgers blanked the Colorado Rockies, 3-0, in the middle test of a three-game series.
A.J. Ellis also drove in a run for the Dodgers, who have won four straight and sit two games behind the St. Louis Cardinals for the NL's final wild card spot.
"We got enough to win tonight," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "Joe Blanton was good, he put up zeroes for us and Matt had a couple of big hits. A big win for us."
Blanton (10-13) scattered seven hits and struck out six with no walks over six-plus innings.
Brandon League worked a perfect ninth inning to earn his sixth save since being traded from the Seattle Mariners.
Tyler Chatwood (5-6) allowed two runs on five hits and two walks through four innings for Colorado, which dropped its second straight game on the heels of a four-game win streak.
After each team left a man on scoring position in the first inning, neither would advance a runner past first base until Kemp led off the bottom of the fourth with a blast over the wall in left field.
Hanley Ramirez later singled, stole second and came home on an Ellis base hit to give the Dodgers a 2-0 lead.
Kemp started the bottom of the eighth inning by hammering a ball into the seats in right field to account for the final margin.
The Rockies, meanwhile, would only move a runner past first base one time after the first inning, when Andrew Brown hit a one-out single in the fifth and advanced to third on a Matt McBride ground out and a DJ LeMahieu infield single.
But Chatwood followed with a grounder to short to end the threat, and Ronald Belisario, Kenley Jansen and League each tossed a scoreless inning of relief to preserve the shutout.
"We did everything we could do tonight. We just couldn't put a run across," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
Dodgers first baseman Adrian Gonzalez went 2-for-4 to extend his hit streak to 11 games ... Blanton improved to 3-0 in five career starts against Colorado ... Chatwood fell to 2-2 in four career starts against the Dodgers ... It was Kemp's fifth career multi-homer game ... Los Angeles won four straight games for the first time since Aug. 12-15.
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 29 11:53 PM
- Matt Kemp lead off Home Run 2 (22) to right. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 29 11:34 PM
- A.J. Ellis single to right scored Hanley Ramirez with two outs. On the play, Shane Victorino advances to second. Runners on first and second and Joe Blanton due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 29 10:25 PM
- Matt Kemp lead-off Home Run (21) to left. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 29 10:14 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 29 9:14 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22