Rays rally against Verlander, top TigersApr 11, 2012 - 10:29 PM
Verlander (0-1) held a 2-0 lead and had allowed just one hit entering the ninth, but singles by Jeff Keppinger and Desmond Jennings put runners at the corners with one down. Keppinger scored on a wild pitch and Evan Longoria tied it with an RBI single, driving the 2011 American League MVP and CY Young Award winner from the game.
The bases were loaded two batters later when Zobrist put Tampa Bay on top with a two-run single up the middle off of Jose Valverde.
Fernando Rodney retired Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder and Jhonny Peralta in order to earn his third save of the season. James Shields (1-0) got the win after allowing two runs on six hits over eight innings and the Rays, who swept the Yankees to begin the season, rebounded from Tuesday's 5-2 loss in the opener of this three-game series.
Verlander suffered his first loss in 15 starts dating back to July 15 of last year against the White Sox. He was charged with all four runs on four hits over 8 1/3 innings.
"Verlander was on top of his entire game today," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "It was a great comeback win against a very good opponent."
Cabrera knocked in a run in the first for the Tigers, who were attempting to start the season with five straight wins for the first time since 2006.
Zobrist broke up Verlander's no-hitter with a one-out single in the fifth, advanced to second on a balk and to third on a fly out, but Jose Lobaton grounded out to end the threat.
Andy Dirks led off the home fifth with a double, moved to third on a groundout and made it 2-0 on a Shields balk.
Verlander retired the next nine batters in order before Keppinger's leadoff single in the ninth.
"I felt like I pitched exceptionally well for the first eight innings," said Verlander. "I have to learn from the ninth."
Shields improved to 5-0 in eight career starts versus the Tigers...The Tigers had won eight of their previous nine games against the Rays...Prior to the game, Rays pitcher Jeremy Hellickson was hit in the head by a ball during batting practice. He was alert and responsive and was taken to a nearby hospital for observation...Detroit announced Wednesday that designated hitter Victor Martinez does not need a second surgery to reconstruct the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. Martinez, who suffered a torn ACL during his offseason conditioning, had microfracture surgery in January.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
Apr 11 3:55 PM
- Ben Zobrist singled to center scored Carlos Pena and Evan Longoria. On the play, Elliot Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Stephen Vogt due up.
Rays 4, Tigers 2 Top 9, 1 OutApr 11 3:39 PM
- Evan Longoria singled to left scored Desmond Jennings. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 2, Tigers 2 Top 9, 1 OutApr 11 3:26 PM
- Carlos Pena walked. On the play, Justin Verlander wild pitch scored Jeff Keppinger. Runners on first and second and with one out and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 1, Tigers 2 Top 9, 1 OutApr 11 3:23 PM
- James Shields balk scored Andy Dirks. None on with one out and Don Kelly at the plate.
Rays 0, Tigers 2 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 11 2:30 PM
- Miguel Cabrera singled to center scored Austin Jackson. Runner on first with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Rays 0, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 11 1:18 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 11 1:06 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22