Mariners start road trip with win in DetroitApr 25, 2012 - 3:43 AM
Ichiro Suzuki added three hits and two runs scored, while Kyle Seager finished with two hits, an RBI and two runs scored for the Mariners, who snapped a four-game slide.
Jason Vargas (3-1) allowed four runs on six hits and a walk through six innings for the win. Brandon League tossed a scoreless ninth to earn his sixth save of the year.
"Vargas did a nice job today. I thought he controlled the ball game real well," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "But the offense really stepped up for us tonight."
Alex Avila hit a two-run homer and Miguel Cabrera had a solo shot in Detroit's fourth loss in five games.
Max Scherzer (1-2) was touched for five runs on 10 hits and two walks to suffer the loss.
"His command just wasn't good," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said about Scherzer. "He had over 100 pitches in five innings and that's usually a disaster."
The Mariners jumped out to an early lead after Chone Figgins led off the game with a walk, moved to third on Dustin Ackley's single and came home two batters later when Jesus Montero pulled a base hit through the left side.
Seattle loaded the bases with two outs when Cabrera made a diving stop of an Alex Liddi grounder to the left side of the infield but dropped the ball as he tried to transfer it for the throw. Scherzer, though, kept it a one-run game by fanning Saunders with a high fastball.
The Mariners added to their lead in the third inning when Ackley led off the frame with a walk, advanced to second on Suzuki's infield single and crossed the plate on a Seager base hit to center field.
After Liddi struck out, Saunders smacked a double into the left-center field gap to plate Suzuki and Seager, giving Seattle a 4-0 advantage.
Detroit got on the board in the bottom of the third after Brandon Inge hit a double to deep center field that Saunders tracked down but had the ball kick off the heel of his glove. Brennan Boesch brought Inge home with a bloop single into shallow center field.
Avila then hammered a two-run homer over the center field wall in the fourth to bring the Tigers within 4-3.
But Seager and Liddi led off the fifth with back-to-back singles to put runners on the corners and after Saunders struck out, Miguel Olivo hit a grounder to short that scored Seager and gave Seattle back a little cushion.
Detroit got the run back in the home fifth on Cabrera's solo shot into the left field bleachers, but the Mariners answered with Liddi's blast to left- center field in the seventh to make it a 6-4 game.
After the Tigers stranded the tying runs on second and third in the eighth inning when Tom Wilhelmsen fanned Avila, Seattle added a run in the ninth on Saunders' double off the right-field wall that brought home Suzuki.
Pinch-runner Casper Wells was thrown out at home while trying to score from first base on the play, but that run would not be necessary as League worked around a leadoff walk by pinch-hitter Don Kelly in the ninth by striking out Ramon Santiago before inducing consecutive groundouts by Austin Jackson and Boesch to end the game.
Detroit fell to 6-2 on the year when facing a left-handed starting pitcher...Cabrera's home run gave him 997 career RBI...The Mariners went 6- for-19 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base...The Tigers hit 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven.
- SEATTLE: 7
Apr 24 10:08 PM
- Michael Saunders doubled to right scored Ichiro Suzuki. On the play, Casper Wells thrown out at home to end the inning.
Mariners 7, Tigers 4 Mid 9Apr 24 9:57 PM
- Alex Liddi one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 6, Tigers 4 Top 7, 1 OutApr 24 9:14 PM
- Miguel Cabrera two-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Prince Fielder due up.
Mariners 5, Tigers 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 24 8:47 PM
- Miguel Olivo grounded into a fielder's choice, short to third that scored Kyle Seager. On the play, Alex Liddi tagged out at third. Runner on first with two outs and Munenori Kawasaki due up.
Mariners 5, Tigers 3 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 24 8:40 PM
- Alex Avila two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored Prince Fielder. Ryan Raburn due up.
Mariners 4, Tigers 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 24 8:22 PM
- Brennan Boesch single to center scored Brandon Inge. Runner on first with two outs and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Mariners 4, Tigers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 24 8:04 PM
- Michael Saunders double to left scored Ichiro Suzuki and Kyle Seager. Runner on second with two outs and Miguel Olivo due up.
Mariners 4, Tigers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 24 7:53 PM
- Kyle Seager single to center scored Dustin Ackley. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Alex Liddi due up.
Mariners 2, Tigers 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 24 7:49 PM
- Jesus Montero single to left scored Chone Figgins. On the play, Dustin Ackley advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 24 7:13 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 24 7:06 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22