Seattle's Hernandez tames Tigers againApr 26, 2012 - 3:43 AM
"It was incredible how he was able to work through things," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said of his starter. "They were making him work, and he had to fight through it, and he just never gave in to it."
Hernandez (2-1) allowed one run on four hits and three walks with two strikeouts, as he moved to 9-0 in his last 10 starts against Detroit. The last player to win nine decisions in a row against the Tigers was Dennis Lamp in 1989.
Alex Liddi belted a two-run homer, Dustin Ackley had three hits and three runs batted in, and Jesus Montero drove in two runs in the victory, Seattle's second in as many nights.
Adam Wilk (0-3) suffered yet another loss after allowing six runs on eight hits over just two-plus innings. Brennan Boesch hit his third homer of the season in the losing effort.
"I was rushing through everything a little bit too much today, wasn't giving myself time to get back and my arm [to] catch up. That kind of resulted in the ball being flat and up in the zone," said Wilk.
After a pair of singles in the top of the first, Montero's base hit to right, plating Ackley, opened the scoring. Seattle pushed its edge to 4-0 in the second on Ackley's two-run single and Brendan Ryan's sacrifice fly.
Liddi then launched a 3-1 fastball over the wall in left with Montero aboard an inning later, spelling the end of Wilk's evening.
Boesch got to Hernandez in the home third, leading off by taking his changeup into the seats in right.
But Hernandez then settled down, getting out of the third without another baserunner and facing the minimum from that point until he was lifted after seven frames.
Ackley doubled in Casper Wells in the fifth, while Montero singled in Austin Jackson before Michael Saunders took a bases-loaded walk in the sixth to plate three more runs.
Mariners reliever Erasmo Ramirez loaded the bases on a pair of hits around a walk in the bottom of the ninth, but got Don Kelly to foul out to end the game.
Hernandez walked three batters in the first inning for the first time in his career...Jhonny Peralta and Prince Fielder committed errors for Detroit...The probables for Thursday's finale are Hector Noesi (1-2) for Seattle against Rick Porcello (1-1).
- SEATTLE: 9
Apr 25 10:05 PM
- Michael Saunders walked. Justin Smoak scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Casper Wells due up.
Mariners 9, Tigers 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 25 9:07 PM
- Jesus Montero singled to center scored Ichiro Suzuki. On the play, Justin Smoak advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Alex Liddi due up.
Mariners 8, Tigers 1 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 25 9:00 PM
- Dustin Ackley doubled to left scored Casper Wells. Runner on second with two outs and Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 7, Tigers 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 25 8:45 PM
- Brennan Boesch lead-off Home Run (3) to right center. Miguel Cabrera due up.
Mariners 6, Tigers 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 25 8:21 PM
- Alex Liddi none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Jesus Montero. Miguel Olivo due up.
Mariners 6, Tigers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 25 8:06 PM
- Brendan Ryan sacrifice fly out to left scored Casper Wells. Runner on second with one out and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Mariners 4, Tigers 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 25 7:50 PM
- Dustin Ackley singled to right scored Miguel Olivo and Michael Saunders. On the play, Casper Wells advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 3, Tigers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 25 7:48 PM
- Jesus Montero singled to right scored Dustin Ackley. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Alex Liddi due up.
Mariners 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 25 7:19 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 25 7:07 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22