Smyly's gem lifts Tigers over YankeesApr 29, 2012 - 5:17 AM
Smyly (1-0) gave up just two hits, two walks and a run and struck out seven in his fourth major league start.
"He pitched like a veteran pitcher, to be honest with you," said Detroit manager Jim Leyland about Smyly. "He was terrific today and they hadn't seen him before so that helped."
The 22-year-old lefty entered the game with a 1.13 earned run average -- two earned runs in 16 innings -- which climbed 0.1 points despite the good outing.
Miguel Cabrera had two hits, including a solo homer, and knocked in three runs as the Tigers snapped a five-game losing streak.
Nick Swisher hit two solo homers, including one in a three-run ninth for New York, and Curtis Granderson added a solo blast.
Yankees starter Freddy Garcia (0-2) was knocked around for six runs, five hits and two walks in just 1 2/3 innings. He has pitched just 13 2/3 innings in four starts and has a 12.51 ERA.
"His stuff is not what we're used to seeing. It's not coming out of his hand the way we're used to seeing," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi. "We're trying to figure out what's going on."
The Yankees won the opener of the three-game series, 7-6, on Friday but fell behind early in this one and only showed life later on.
Garcia walked Austin Jackson to lead off the game, struck out Brennan Boesch and Cabrera, then threw an intentional ball on a 3-0 count to Prince Fielder to put two runners on.
Dirks made the Yankees pay, knocking an 0-2 pitch over the right field wall to give the Tigers a 3-0 lead.
Swisher hit his first homer of the game in the bottom of the first, but the Tigers pushed their lead to 6-1 with another three-run rally in the second.
Boesch delivered an RBI double and Cabrera knocked Garcia out of the game with a two-run single.
The teams exchanged solo homers later on -- Granderson for the Yankees in the seventh and Cabrera for the Tigers in the eighth -- and Jose Valverde had to hang on in the ninth to preserve Detroit's win.
Swisher led off the frame wit his sixth homer of the season and Granderson hit an RBI single. Raul Ibanez added a pinch-hit double to score another run with two outs, but Valverde got pinch-hitter Eric Chavez on a fly ball to end the game.
The Tigers put Delmon Young on the restricted list a day after the outfielder was arrested early Friday morning for allegedly attacking a man at a New York hotel and yelling anti-Semitic remarks.
- DETROIT: 7
NEW YORK: 5
Apr 28 6:57 PM
- Eric Chavez is Pinch-hitting for Russell Martin.
Tigers 7, Yankees 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 28 6:56 PM
- Curtis Granderson single to left scored Alex Rodriguez. Runner on first with two out and Andruw Jones due up.
Tigers 7, Yankees 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 28 6:50 PM
- Nick Swisher lead off Home Run 2 (6) to left. Robinson Cano due up.
Tigers 7, Yankees 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 28 6:40 PM
- Miguel Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 7, Yankees 2 Top 8, 1 OutApr 28 6:16 PM
- Curtis Granderson two-out, solo Home Run (7) to right-center. Andruw Jones due up.
Tigers 6, Yankees 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 28 6:09 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to right scored Austin Jackson and Brennan Boesch. Runner on first with two out and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 6, Yankees 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 28 4:42 PM
- Brennan Boesch double to right scored Alex Avila. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to third. Runners on second and third with two out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 4, Yankees 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 28 4:41 PM
- Nick Swisher one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Robinson Cano due up.
Tigers 3, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 28 4:29 PM
- Andy Dirks two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Austin Jackson and Prince Fielder. Brad Eldred due up.
Tigers 3, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 28 4:22 PM
- DETROIT: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 28 4:08 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22