Yankees pound TigersJun 2, 2012 - 5:24 AM
Alex Rodriguez added a two-run homer for the Yankees, who improved to 5-2 on a nine-game road trip. Chris Stewart, Derek Jeter and Andruw Jones had an RBI apiece.
CC Sabathia (7-2) allowed three runs on eight hits over seven innings to pick up the win. He struck out five and walked two while improving to 17-12 lifetime against Detroit in 34 starts. In addition, Sabathia is now 1-3 in the regular season at Comerica Park since joining the Yankees.
Ramon Santiago hit a solo homer for the Tigers, who have lost four of five. Jhonny Peralta, Danny Worth and Prince Fielder each knocked in a run.
Casey Crosby (0-1) struggled in his MLB debut, giving up six runs on four hits over 3 1/3 innings. The left-hander walked four and struck out three.
"I was getting too excited. One walk led to two walks and I could never really get my composure back," said Crosby.
The Tigers got on the board in the first inning. Quintin Berry tripled to right-center field and crossed the plate on Worth's single to right.
But New York responded with five runs in the second. Crosby walked Robinson Cano, Nick Swisher and Jayson Nix to load the bases with one out. After Stewart flied out, Jeter walked to force in a run. Granderson followed with his fourth career grand slam, making it a 5-1 game.
"He's been really important for us. He's been a great player," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said about Granderson.
Detroit managed to get two runs back in the third. Santiago led off with a homer to left. Berry doubled to left-center field, moved to third on Worth's groundout and scored on Fielder's single to center.
The Yankees tacked on another run in the fourth. Nix hit a one-out double down the right-field line, stole third and crossed the plate on Stewart's single up the middle. Luis Marte came in from the bullpen and retired the next two batters to keep it a 6-3 contest.
New York added a run in the eighth to make it 7-3. Brayan Villarreal walked Swisher with two outs and Jones followed with an RBI double.
But the Tigers got the run back in the bottom half of the frame on pinch- hitter Peralta's sacrifice fly.
Rodriguez's homer off Octavio Dotel in the ninth made it a 9-4 game.
The Tigers loaded the bases with one out in the ninth, but Rafael Soriano got Miguel Cabrera to ground into a double play.
New York took two of three from the Tigers earlier in the season...Crosby had been 4-2 with a 4.26 ERA in nine starts with Triple-A Toledo...The Tigers started a six-game homestand on Friday...Fielder extended his hitting streak to nine games...The Yankees faced a Detroit pitcher making his MLB debut for the first time since defeating Beiker Graterol on April 9, 1999 at Yankee Stadium...Cabrera went 1-for-5 and has now hit safely in 32 of his 34 games during his career against the Yankees...Berry went 3-for-5 with two runs scored...Gerald Laird of the Tigers left the game in the sixth inning after beating out an infield single. Laird slid head-first into first base and immediately came up limping. Laird left the game with what the Tigers called right hamstring tightness.
- NEW YORK: 9
Jun 1 10:40 PM
- Clay Rapada starts the inning for the Yankees.
Yankees 9, Tigers 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 1 10:28 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jhonny Peralta sacrifice fly to right scored Miguel Cabrera with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Brennan Boesch due up.
Yankees 7, Tigers 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 1 10:09 PM
- Andruw Jones double to left scored Nick Swisher with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 7, Tigers 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 1 9:44 PM
- Chris Stewart single to center scored Jayson Nix with one out. Runner on first with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 6, Tigers 3 Top 4, 1 OutJun 1 8:29 PM
- Prince Fielder single to center scored Quintin Berry with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Delmon Young due up.
Yankees 5, Tigers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 1 8:14 PM
- Ramon Santiago lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Quintin Berry due up.
Yankees 5, Tigers 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 1 8:03 PM
- Curtis Granderson two-out, Grand Slam (17) to right scored Nick Swisher, Jayson Nix and Derek Jeter. Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 5, Tigers 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 1 7:45 PM
- Derek Jeter walk scored Robinson Cano with two out. Bases loaded with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 1, Tigers 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 1 7:44 PM
- Danny Worth single to right scored Quintin Berry with none out. Runner on first with none out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Yankees 0, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 1 7:23 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 7:07 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22