Tigers win wild one in 9th vs. YankeesJun 3, 2012 - 5:37 AM
It was a wild game that saw Miguel Cabrera hit a pair of titanic homers for the Tigers, including the tiebreaking one in the eighth inning.
But Jose Valverde (3-1) couldn't find the strike zone in the ninth and walked Mark Teixeira with the bases full and two outs, tying the game for New York.
With Raul Ibanez at bat, Santos failed to catch a foul pop-up near the plate on the first base side as the ball dropped next to his glove. Ibanez bounced out to first baseman Prince Fielder to end the inning.
Boesch singled to right off David Phelps (1-2) with one out in the ninth and Jhonny Peralta laced a single to right to put runners on the corners. Boone Logan then intentionally walked pinch-hitter Ramon Santiago and Santos' fly ball to right easily plated Boesch.
"It's not a great feeling, the two errors I did in the game," Santos said. "I was praying in the on-deck circle, if I get the opportunity I'm going to turn this game around."
Yankees manager Joe Girardi and hitting coach Kevin Long were both ejected in the seventh inning.
Left fielder Don Kelly robbed Mark Teixeira of a home run in the top of the fourth inning.
Cabrera's two homers were a combined 869 feet. His first came leading off the bottom of the fourth, a blast that hit high off the ivy beyond the wall in center.
Quintin Berry's RBI single in the fifth made it 2-0 before Ibanez's groundout plated Robinson Cano in the sixth.
Girardi and Long were ejected by home plate umpire Bob Davidson. Long argued just after Santos nearly made a catch on a foul ball hit by Curtis Granderson near the Yankees dugout. The argument came due to the previous pitch. Girardi then argued the ejection and threw his hat on the ground after being thrown out of the game himself.
"You get a call like that, we're going to be upset," Girardi said. "He said 'don't talk to me that way. I'm not going to let you talk to me that way.' To me he should have turned and walked the other way. I questioned what he did."
New York wasted a chance with two men in scoring position in that inning, but tied it in the eighth when Octavio Dotel walked Teixeira before allowing an RBI single to right by Nick Swisher.
With two outs in the bottom half Cabrera crushed a 2-1 pitch from Cory Wade into a camera stand beyond the center field wall.
Valverde pegged Russell Martin and then walked Derek Jeter in the ninth. Pinch-runner Dewayne Wise and Jeter pulled off a double-steal with one out before Alex Rodriguez was hit by a pitch on the left elbow. After Cano popped out, Teixeira drew the walk on a low 3-2 pitch to tie the game.
The game was delayed 39 minutes by rain in the bottom of the first inning, when the Tigers had a runner at third, but came up empty when Cabrera fouled out and Fielder lined out...Yankees starter Hiroki Kuroda allowed seven hits and fanned four over seven innings, while Tigers starter Rick Porcello gave up six hits in six frames.
- NEW YORK: 3
Jun 2 11:23 PM
- Omir Santos sacrifice fly to right scored Brennan Boesch with two outs to end the game.
Yankees 3, Tigers 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 2 11:23 PM
- Mark Teixeira bases loaded walk scored DeWayne Wise with two outs. Bases loaded and Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 3, Tigers 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 2 11:03 PM
- Miguel Cabrera two-out, solo Home Run 2 (11) to center. Prince Fielder due up.
Yankees 2, Tigers 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 2 10:39 PM
- Nick Swisher single to right scored Mark Teixeira with two outs. Runner on first and Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 2, Tigers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 2 10:31 PM
- Raul Ibanez grounded out short to first scoring Robinson Cano with two out. Runner on second and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 1, Tigers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 2 9:34 PM
- Quintin Berry picked off at first. None on with two outs and Danny Worth at the plate.
Yankees 0, Tigers 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 2 9:24 PM
- Miguel Cabrera lead-off Home Run (10) to center. Prince Fielder due up.
Yankees 0, Tigers 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 2 8:58 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 2 7:17 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22