Angels' offense explodes in rout of TigersJul 18, 2012 - 5:44 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Angels offense pounded out 18 hits, including five home runs, on Tuesday en route to a 13-0 drubbing of the Detroit Tigers in the second installment of a four-game series at Comerica Park.
Mark Trumbo and Alberto Callaspo crushed three-run home runs, while Albert Pujols and Kendrys Morales added solo shots for the Angels, who have won two of three. Mike Trout clubbed a two-run homer among his four hits, and Howie Kendrick had three hits in the victory.
"Our offense came out and scored some runs early," Pujols said. "That's what you want on a hot day like today. "(Garrett) Richards went out that and made a great start."
Garrett Richards (3-1) was strong on the mound. The 2009 compensation-round draft pick by the Angels allowed just three hits and walked four over seven scoreless innings to pick up the win. David Carpenter tossed the final two innings to finish the shutout.
The pitching performance may have overshadowed the offense a bit, but only because it ended quite a streak for Detroit. The shutout was the first the Tigers faithful have seen in quite some time -- a year and a day to be exact. Detroit had scored in 158 straight games, having last gone without a run on July 16, 2011 against the White Sox.
Miguel Cabrera, Delmon Young, Alex Avila and Jhonny Peralta each had a hit in the loss for the Tigers, who had a brief two-game winning streak halted.
Jacob Turner (0-1), another 2009 first-round pick, was shelled in his second start of the year, allowing seven runs on six hits and two walks in just two innings to absorb the loss.
"We could have caught lightning in a bottle, he could have had a great outing, but I wasn't really expecting that," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "If he could have gone six innings, I would have been really comfortable with that."
The Angels jumped on the young Detroit hurler early, putting four runs across before an out was recorded. Trout led off the game with a single, Torii Hunter drew a walk and Pujols came through with a seeing-eye base hit through the left side to plate Trout. Trumbo then got an 0-2 fastball right down the heart of the plate from Turner and smashed it deep into the seats in left, extending the Angels' lead to 4-0.
Los Angeles added three more runs in the second -- all via the long ball. Bobby Wilson, the no. 9 hitter, drew a walk, and Trout followed with a rocket deep and into the right-center field stands. After Hunter popped out, Pujols got a fastball down in the zone and pulled it over the wall in left, making it a 7-0 game.
Detroit did not collect its first hit of the game until the fourth inning and did not threaten to score until the fifth when Brennan Boesch led off the inning with a walk and Avila drew a free pass later in the frame to put a pair of runners on with one out. Richards battled back to fan Ramon Santiago before inducing an inning-ending fly out from Austin Jackson.
Hunter and Pujols roped back-to-back singles in the sixth and Hunter scored on a Morales single before Callaspo drilled a changeup from Tigers reliever Duane Below over the wall in left, widening the lead to 11-0.
Morales crushed his solo shot into the seats in right off Darin Downs in the eighth and Peter Bourjos capped the rout with a ringing RBI double off the wall in left in the ninth.
Turner was recalled from Triple-A Toledo prior to the game, while pitcher Luis Marte was sent to the farm club to make room for Turner...Trumbo's first- inning homer traveled an estimated distance of 415 feet. He has a home run in six of his last eight games...Temperature on the field at first pitch was 100 degrees...Five home runs marked the most allowed by the Tigers in a game this season...Tigers first baseman Prince Fielder was removed from the game in the sixth inning...It was Trout's fourth four-hit game of the season.
- LOS ANGELES: 13
Jul 17 10:16 PM
- Kole Calhoun struck out swinging to end the inning.
Angels 13, Tigers 0 Mid 9Jul 17 10:08 PM
- Kendrys Morales one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 12, Tigers 0 Top 8, 1 OutJul 17 9:42 PM
- Brayan Villareal enters the game for the Tigers with none on and two outs.
Angels 11, Tigers 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 17 9:03 PM
- Kendrys Morales single to right center scored Torii Hunter with one out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to third. Runners on first and third and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 8, Tigers 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 17 8:59 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, solo Home Run (16) to left. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 7, Tigers 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 17 7:37 PM
- Mike Trout none-out, two-run Home Run (13) to right center scored Bobby Wilson. Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 6, Tigers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 17 7:34 PM
- Mark Trumbo none-out, three-run Home Run (26) to left scored Torii Hunter and Albert Pujols. Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 4, Tigers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 17 7:16 PM
- Albert Pujols single to left scored Mike Trout with none out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 17 7:15 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 17 7:07 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22