Fister pitches Tigers past AngelsJul 19, 2012 - 4:32 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Doug Fister shut down the Angels a day after their season-best output, as the Tigers rolled to a 7-2 victory in the third meeting of a four-game series at Comerica Park.
Fister (4-6) surrendered a solo home run to Albert Pujols in the first inning, but was otherwise masterful in winning his third straight start. He allowed just one more hit, two walks and fanned 10 over eight innings.
Fister's dominant performance came after the Angels pounded out 18 hits and five homers in a 13-0 rout on Tuesday.
"He pitched terrific," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said of his starter. "He moved the ball in and out and changed his speeds."
Brennan Boesch and Prince Fielder each had two hits and drove in a pair for Detroit, which improved to 4-2 since the All-Star break.
Angels starter C.J. Wilson (9-6) was touched for a season-high seven runs on eight hits and five walks.
"Over the course of the season, you hope the good bounces go your way. Tonight they didn't," Wilson said.
Delmon Young countered Pujols' 17th home run of the season with a two-out, RBI single in the bottom of the first, and the Tigers tacked on four more off Wilson in their next turn at the plate.
Ryan Raburn hit a bases-loaded single to bring in a run, Miguel Cabrera's groundout plated another and Fielder laced a base hit to center that scored a pair.
Boesch made it 7-1 in the fifth when he sliced a line drive down the left- field line to knock in Cabrera and Jhonny Peralta.
The double was Detroit's last hit, but Fister retired the last 11 hitters he faced to keep it a six-run game.
Torii Hunter's RBI groundout in the ninth off Joaquin Benoit capped the scoring.
Fister had lost his previous three decisions versus the Angels...Hunter turned 37 on Wednesday.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Jul 18 9:34 PM
- Torii Hunter grounded out second to first scoring Mike Trout. None on with two outs and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 7 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 18 9:33 PM
- Brennan Boesch doubled to left scoring Miguel Cabrera and Jhonny Peralta. Runner on second with two outs and Gerald Laird due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 18 8:38 PM
- Prince Fielder singled to center scoring Danny Worth and Ryan Raburn. Runner on first with two outs and Delmon Young due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 18 7:47 PM
- Miguel Cabrera grounded out second to first scoring Gerald Laird. On the play, Ryan Raburn advances to second and Danny Worth advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Prince Fielder due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 18 7:43 PM
- Ryan Raburn singled to short scoring Brennan Boesch. On the play, Danny Worth advances to second and Gerald Laird advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 18 7:42 PM
- Delmon Young singled to right scoring Miguel Cabrera. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 18 7:23 PM
- Albert Pujols two-out, solo Home Run (17) to left. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 18 7:09 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 18 7:05 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22