Sanchez, Tigers top Blue JaysAug 23, 2012 - 5:51 AM
Anibal Sanchez (2-3) allowed two runs -- one earned -- on five hits and struck out six over 6 2/3 innings to pick up his first win in three starts.
"He was obviously much better, pitched very well," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said.
Jose Valverde worked around a two-out single in the ninth to pick up is 25th save of the season. Valverde also became the fifth player in franchise history to record 100 saves.
Edwin Encarnacion and Adieny Hechavarria knocked in a run apiece for the Blue Jays, who have lost seven of their last eight.
Aaron Laffey (3-5) was pegged with the loss after giving up all three runs -- two earned -- on five hits. He struck out two and walked three over six-plus innings en route to his third consecutive loss.
Detroit got on the board in the fourth when Omar Infante scored on a wild pitch. Infante ripped a triple to left-center field before Laffey's pitch bounced in front of the plate and past Yorvit Torrealba.
The Tigers added another run in the fifth to go up 2-0. Delmon Young reached on a long single off the right-field fence, moved to second on a sacrifice then scored on Baker's base hit. It looked as if there could be a play at the plate but Moises Sierra's throw was off target and skipped to the backstop, allowing Young to score easily.
Toronto pushed one across in the sixth. With a runner on third and one out Encarnacion ripped a line drive at Andy Dirks in left field. Dirks, who made a brilliant leaping catch to rob Sierra of an extra-base hit in the fourth, took a step back before running towards the liner, but ran right past it and the ball rolled to the fence.
Fielder's RBI single in the home half put the Tigers up 3-1. Jackson reached on a throwing error then moved to second on a sacrifice before Laffey intentionally walked Miguel Cabrera. Fielder followed a bloop single to left field. Jackson was almost thrown out at the plate, but Jeff Mathis couldn't hold onto the throw as Jackson slid into him.
Hechavarria's sacrifice fly in the seventh cut the deficit to 3-2.
Detroit has won five of seven ... The Tigers' pitchers have struck out 1,000 batters for the 13th time in franchise history. So far this season they have struck out 1,007 ... Prior to the game the Blue Jays placed shortstop Yunel Escobar on the paternity list and recalled pitcher Chad Beck from Triple-A Las Vegas ... Toronto fist baseman David Cooper left the game in the sixth inning with what is being called a jammed neck. He was replaced by Mathis.
- TORONTO: 2
Aug 22 9:55 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria sacrifice fly out to right scored Yorvit Torrealba. On the play, Mike McCoy advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Rajai Davis due up.
Blue Jays 2, Tigers 3 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 22 8:57 PM
- Prince Fielder singled to left scored Austin Jackson. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Blue Jays 1, Tigers 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 22 8:43 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion singled to left scored Rajai Davis, advances to second on Andy Dirks's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and David Cooper due up.
Blue Jays 1, Tigers 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 22 8:34 PM
- Rajai Davis walked. Runner on first with none out and Colby Rasmus due up.
Blue Jays 0, Tigers 2 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 22 8:26 PM
- Omar Infante scored on a wild pitch. None on with one out and Miguel Cabrera at the plate.
Blue Jays 0, Tigers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 22 8:04 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 7:07 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22