Wilson leads Angels past TigersSep 9, 2012 - 4:28 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Howie Kendrick drove in a pair of runs as the LA Angels of Anaheim took a 6-1 win over the Detroit Tigers in the second of a three-game set.
Albert Pujols went 3-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored while Mike Trout hit a solo home run and scored twice for the Angels, who have won their last five games.
C.J. Wilson (12-9) won his third straight start as he gave up just one unearned run along with four hits and two walks while striking out six over 7 2/3 innings.
"I tried not to do too much," said Wilson. "I just tried to get on the same page with the catcher and hit the glove. If you take the walks out of the game, I think this was my best game."
Omar Infante had two hits and drove in the lone run for the Tigers, who have lost four of their last five. Justin Verlander (13-8) gave up all six runs on nine hits over six innings to take the loss.
"It wasn't his night out there," said Detroit manager Jim Leyland about Verlander. "He wasn't very good and the Angels ambushed him early. They are a good team and are fighting for a playoff spot, same as us."
Detroit fell two games back of Chicago, which beat Kansas City on Saturday, for first place in the AL Central, while the Angels' winning streak has got them two games back of the crowded AL wild card chase.
Trout led off the Angels first with his 26th home run of the season. With one out, Pujols walked and Kendrys Morales doubled. Kendrick drove in both runners with a double and later came home on a Vernon Wells double for a 4-0 lead.
The Angels added to their lead in the third when Pujols led off with a double and Kendrys Morales followed with a two-bagger for a 5-0 lead.
In the fourth, the Tigers got on the board as Austin Jackson reached second base on an Maicer Izturis error then scored on an Infante single.
The Angels, though, got the run back in the bottom of the fourth on an RBI single from Pujols that plated Trout for a 6-1 advantage.
Detroit leads the season series, 5-4 ... Izturis left the game in the fourth inning with a rib cage strain ... Tigers third base coach Gene Lamont and third baseman Miguel Cabrera were ejected in the fourth inning by home plate umpire Tim Timmons for arguing.
- DETROIT: 1
LOS ANGELES: 6
Sep 8 11:45 PM
- Albert Pujols single to third scored Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to second. Runners on first and second with Kendrys Morales due up.
Tigers 1, Angels 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 8 10:29 PM
- Omar Infante single to right scored Austin Jackson with none out. Runner on first out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 1, Angels 5 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 8 10:10 PM
- Erick Aybar grounded out second to first. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Vernon Wells due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 8 10:05 PM
- Vernon Wells double to right center scored Howie Kendrick with two out. Runner on second and Maicer Izturis due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 8 9:24 PM
- Howie Kendrick double to left scored Albert Pujols and Kendrys Morales with one out. Runner on second and Erick Aybar due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 3 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 8 9:19 PM
- Mike Trout lead-off Home Run (26) to left. Torii Hunter due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 8 9:14 PM
- DETROIT: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 8 9:07 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22