Twins dump Tigers in opener of day-night twinbillSep 23, 2012 - 11:49 PM
Ben Revere went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and an RBI while Eduardo Escobar added two hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Twins, who had lost five of seven coming in.
Scott Diamond (12-8) gave up two runs on four hits over seven innings to get the win.
"Diamond went out there and we've said all along that if your starter gives you good innings and keeps it close, you can win ball games," said Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire. "He didn't let up any big innings and stayed ahead of the hitters most of the night."
Max Scherzer (16-7) was charged with three runs on six hits in five-plus innings for the Tigers, who have dropped two of three. Avisail Garcia hit a two-run single in the loss.
Detroit came into the game just one-half game behind Chicago in the AL Central and the finale of this three-game set will be played later on Sunday.
"We needed to win this ball game, that's just plain and simple," said Scherzer. "That's a good team over there and we respect them, but we should be winning these games."
The game stayed scoreless until the fourth inning when Detroit took the lead. With one out, Omar Infante singled and rounded the bases when Miguel Cabrera followed with a double. Delmon Young later singled home Cabrera for a 2-0 lead.
Minnesota, though, went ahead in the sixth inning. Revere tripled to start the frame and quickly scored on a Mauer single. After a double by Josh Willingham, Phil Coke took the mound and Justin Morneau greeted him with a single to plate Mauer. A walk to Ryan Doumit then loaded the bases.
Brayan Villarreal became the third pitcher of the inning for the Tigers and Trevor Plouffe scored one with a single. A wild pitch by Villarreal scored another run and Pedro Florimon's fielder's choice scored one more for a 5-2 lead.
Mauer's sacrifice fly in the seventh made it a 6-2 contest.
In the eighth, the Twins padded their lead on RBI singles from Escobar and Revere, along with a two-run triple by Mauer for a 10-2 advantage.
Garcia's two-run single in the ninth accounted for the final score.
Detroit still leads the season series, 8-6 ... Minnesota hit 6-for-15 with runners in scoring position ... Diamond moved to 1-2 in four games against Detroit ... Scherzer fell to 3-2 in nine starts against the Twins.
- MINNESOTA: 10
Sep 23 4:11 PM
- Joe Mauer triple to center scored Pedro Florimon Jr. and Ben Revere with two out. Runner on third and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 10, Tigers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 23 3:43 PM
- Ben Revere single to left scored Eduardo Escobar with two out. On the play, Pedro Florimon Jr. advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 8, Tigers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 23 3:38 PM
- Eduardo Escobar single to center scored Ryan Doumit with one out. Runner on first and Pedro Florimon Jr. due up.
Twins 7, Tigers 2 Top 8, 1 OutSep 23 3:35 PM
- Darin Downs enters the game for the Tigers with none on and two out.
Twins 6, Tigers 2 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 23 3:17 PM
- Pedro Florimon Jr. reached first on a fielder's choice, second to short that scored Ryan Doumit with two out. Trevor Plouffe out at second. Runner on first and Denard Span due up.
Twins 5, Tigers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 23 2:54 PM
- Eduardo Escobar struck out swinging. On the play, Ryan Doumit advanced to third and Justin Morneau scored on a Brayan Villarreal wild pitch with one out. Runners on first and third and Pedro Florimon Jr. due up.
Twins 4, Tigers 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 23 2:54 PM
- Trevor Plouffe single to left scored Josh Willingham with none out. On the play, Ryan Doumit advanced to second and Justin Morneau advanced to third. Bases loaded and Eduardo Escobar due up.
Twins 3, Tigers 2 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 23 2:46 PM
- Justin Morneau single to left scored Joe Mauer with none out. Runners on first and second and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 2, Tigers 2 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 23 2:41 PM
- Josh Willingham doubled to left. On the play, Joe Mauer advanced to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 1, Tigers 2 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 23 2:39 PM
- Delmon Young single to right scored Miguel Cabrera with two out. Runner on first and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Twins 0, Tigers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 23 2:05 PM
- Miguel Cabrera double to left scored Omar Infante with one out. Runner on second and Prince Fielder due up.
Twins 0, Tigers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 23 2:02 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 23 1:06 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22