Marlins get by Astros in extrasApr 14, 2012 - 4:58 AM
Brandon Lyon (0-1) failed to record an out, allowing Coghlan to reach with an infield single to third. Sanchez followed by lacing the game-winning hit to left.
"For me, it's great that it happened, but I would be just as happy as anybody else doing it," Sanchez said.
It made a winner of Ryan Webb (1-0) who turned in a scoreless top of the 11th for the Marlins, who had dropped two in a row at Philadelphia.
J.D. Martinez finished with two hits, including a two-run homer, and two runs scored for the Astros, who have lost three in a row.
"All of our four losses, guys have done a great job at getting ourselves back in games," Astros manager Brad Mills said. "We've given ourselves a chance to win, or at least score runs, but it hasn't been there."
Jordan Schafer began the game with a walk, stole second and scored on a Jed Lowrie base hit, but Miami responded with two in the home first on a Giancarlo Stanton RBI double and run-scoring hit from Omar Infante.
Astros starter Lucas Harrell's wild pitch with the bases loaded in the third brought home the hosts' third run of the contest, then the Marlins went up 4-1 in the third as Houston first baseman Carlos Lee's throwing error on a Coghlan grounder plated Infante.
Houston began its comeback in the fourth as Martinez led off with a single, moved up on a walk to Brian Bogusevic and crossed the plate on a Jason Castro single.
In the eighth, Lowrie's leadoff single was followed by a two-run shot from Martinez.
Miami starter Ricky Nolasco worked five innings, allowing four hits and two runs with three walks and as many strikeouts...Harrell ended up charged with seven hits and four runs over four full frames...The Marlins took six of seven from the Astros last year.
- HOUSTON: 4
Apr 13 11:01 PM
- J.D. Martinez none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Jed Lowrie. Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 4, Marlins 4 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 13 9:50 PM
- Jason Castro singled to center scoring J.D. Martinez with two out. On the play, Brian Bogusevic advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 2, Marlins 4 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 13 8:30 PM
- Chris Coghlan grounded out third to first. On the play, Carlos Lee's throwing error scored Omar Infante with two out. None on and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Astros 1, Marlins 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 13 8:10 PM
- Lucas Harrell's wild pitch scored Ricky Nolasco with two out. On the play, Emilio Bonifacio advances to second and Jose Reyes advances to third. Runners on second and third and Hanley Ramirez at the plate.
Astros 1, Marlins 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 13 7:58 PM
- Brian Bogusevic struck out swinging. None on with one out and Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 1, Marlins 2 Top 2, 1 OutApr 13 7:40 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton doubled to right scoring Jose Reyes with two out. Runner on second and Omar Infante due up.
Astros 1, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 13 7:33 PM
- Jed Lowrie singled to right scoring Jordan Schafer with none out. Runner on first and J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 13 7:18 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 13 7:14 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21