Astros rip Nats to salvage series finaleApr 20, 2012 - 4:16 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Brian Bogusevic and Jason Castro each had three hits, two runs batted in and a run scored as the Houston Astros routed the Washington Nationals, 11-4, to salvage the final game of a four-game set on Thursday.
Jose Altuve and J.D. Martinez also knocked in two runs apiece and Matt Downs drove in one while scoring three times for the Astros, who snapped a four-game losing streak overall.
Bud Norris (1-0) got the win by allowing four runs on 10 hits and two walks with six strikeouts over six innings. He also knocked in two and scored a run.
Edwin Jackson (1-1) suffered the loss, giving up five runs on seven hits with five strikeouts over five innings. Ryan Zimmerman hit his first home run of the year, a three-run shot, as the Nationals lost for just the fourth time this season.
Three first-inning triples helped the Astros spot Norris a five-run lead before he took the mound.
Altuve hit his second of the year over the head of Nats right fielder Jayson Werth with one down and came home on Martinez's infield single. After Carlos Lee got a base hit, Bogusevic bounced one off the scoreboard in right to reach third and score two. Downs then tied Houston's record for most triples in a game with one in the gap to left that plated Bogusevic. Finally, Downs trotted home on Castro's single.
"I couldn't make pitches to get out of it," Jackson said. "I just left a few balls up, in position to put people away and I didn't."
The string of six consecutive hits was finally snapped when Jackson got Marwin Gonzalez and Norris on a fly out and pop out, respectively, to end the inning.
Wilson Ramos got Washington on the board with an RBI hit in the second, and Zimmerman's three-run blast into the bullpen in left pulled the Nats within 5-4 an inning later. Steve Lombardozzi, who hit a leadoff single, and Danny Espinosa, who followed with a double, scored on the homer.
Despite having thrown 93 pitches, and coming to bat with the bases loaded and less than two outs, Astros manager Brad Mills left Norris in the game in the sixth.
The starter came through, lining a 1-0 fastball into left center to plate Downs and Castro. He scored on a two-run double by Altuve two batters later and Martinez then posted another RBI on a groundout to give the Astros their 10th run.
"It felt nice," Norris said, laughing. "It fell in there and scored two, another big inning for us, and that's always nice."
Castro's single in the seventh, plating Downs, provided Houston with its final margin of victory.
Tom Gorzelanny gave up six runs on eight hits in two relief innings for Washington...Jackson's last regular-season loss came on August 20, 2011...Astros closer Brett Myers pitched a perfect ninth in a non-save situation...The Nationals were 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base.
- HOUSTON: 11
Apr 19 10:14 PM
- Jason Castro singled to center scoring Matt Downs. Runner on first with one out and Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Astros 11, Nationals 4 Top 7, 1 OutApr 19 9:33 PM
- J.D. Martinez grounded out pitcher to first scoring Jordan Schafer. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 10, Nationals 4 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 19 9:15 PM
- Jose Altuve doubled to center scoring Marwin Gonzalez and Bud Norris. On the play, Jordan Schafer advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 9, Nationals 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 19 9:11 PM
- Bud Norris singled to left scoring Matt Downs and Jason Castro. On the play, Marwin Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jordan Schafer due up.
Astros 7, Nationals 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 19 9:08 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Steve Lombardozzi and Danny Espinosa. Adam LaRoche due up.
Astros 5, Nationals 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 19 8:16 PM
- Wilson Ramos singled to left scoring Adam LaRoche. Runner on first with two outs and Roger Bernadina due up.
Astros 5, Nationals 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 19 7:52 PM
- Jason Castro singled to right scoring Matt Downs. Runner on first with one out and Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Astros 5, Nationals 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 19 7:20 PM
- Matt Downs tripled to left center scoring Brian Bogusevic. Runner on third with one out and Jason Castro due up.
Astros 4, Nationals 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 19 7:17 PM
- Brian Bogusevic tripled to right scoring J.D. Martinez and Carlos Lee. Runner on third with one out and Matt Downs due up.
Astros 3, Nationals 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 19 7:13 PM
- J.D. Martinez singled to short scoring Jose Altuve. Runner on first with one out and Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 1, Nationals 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 19 7:09 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 19 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21