Kemp homers, Dodgers win againApr 22, 2012 - 5:46 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp continued his long ball prowess and reigning NL Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw picked up his first victory of the year, as the Dodgers beat the Astros, 5-1, Saturday night.
Kemp belted his major league-leading ninth homer of the season, a two-run blast in the sixth inning. Houston native James Loney also went deep for the Dodgers, who moved to 12-3.
Kershaw (1-0), who allowed three hits and fanned nine over seven shutout innings, became the first Dodger to win nine straight decisions since Chad Billingsley went 9-0 in 12 games (11 starts) from Aug.30, 2008-May 3, 2009. The last loss for Kershaw came Aug. 7 at Arizona.
Andre Ethier hit a two-run single in the eighth inning. Kemp and Ethier lead the majors with 22 and 21 RBI, respectively. Kemp, who has hit safely in 14 of his 15 games this season including 10 in a row, became the fastest Dodger ever to reach nine homers.
"Those two together have been pretty special," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
Kyle Weiland (0-3) surrendered six hits and three runs while fanning six over seven innings.
"Another good performance from him," Astros manager Brad Mills said of Weiland.
J.D. Martinez knocked in the lone run for Houston, which lost for the sixth time in seven contests.
Loney homered to right with two outs in the second and Kemp made it 3-0 with two outs in the sixth. Dee Gordon, who had three hits, was aboard when Kemp drove a ball over the wall in center field.
Ethier's base hit to right plated Gordon and Adam Kennedy in the eighth before Martinez walked with the bases full in the bottom half. That came with one out, but Kenley Jansen recovered to retire Carlos Lee on a pop out and Jed Lowrie on a fly ball.
Los Angeles has won six in a row over Houston...Houston's Martinez and Jordan Schafer have both reached base safely in every game they've played this season. Schafer's 15-game run marks the longest on-base streak of his career and the longest by an Astro to begin a season since Craig Biggio began 2000 with a 17-game run. Martinez owns an active 14-game run of reaching base safely.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Apr 21 10:09 PM
- J.D. Martinez walked scoring Justin Maxwell with one out. Bases loaded and Carlos Lee due up.
Dodgers 5, Astros 1 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 21 9:49 PM
- Andre Ethier singled to right scoring Dee Gordon and Adam Kennedy with two out. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to second. Runners on first and second and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 5, Astros 0 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 21 9:24 PM
- Matt Kemp two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored Dee Gordon. Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Astros 0 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 21 8:40 PM
- Justin Sellers struck out looking to end the inning.
Dodgers 1, Astros 0 Mid 2Apr 21 7:26 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22