Lowrie leads Astros over MetsMay 1, 2012 - 6:21 AM
New York starter R.A. Dickey carried a no-hitter through five innings, but Houston took a 3-0 lead in the sixth on Travis Buck's RBI groundout and Matt Downs' two-run homer.
"He had it working tonight," Lowrie said of Dickey.
The Mets tied the game in the seventh against Astros' starter Bud Norris, but Jordan Schafer led off the eighth with a single, stole second and scored on Lowrie's base hit off of Manny Acosta (0-2).
Brett Myers threw a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his fifth save of the season.
Schafer, who has reached base safely in all 23 games this season, broke up Dickey's no-hitter with a leadoff single, then advanced to second on Jose Altuve's sacrifice bunt. Lowrie placed runners at the corners with a shallow fly to left before Buck's fielder's choice groundout made it 1-0. Downs followed with a blast down the left field line.
"To Downs I left that (knuckleball) a little bit up," said Dickey. "It didn't catch and he hit it out."
David Wright and Ike Davis began the seventh with back-to-back singles and advanced on Mike Baxter's deep fly out before Andres Torres pushed a run across with an infield single. A Lucas Duda two-out walk loaded the bases and Kirk Nieuwenhuis delivered a two-run single down the right field line to tie the game.
Davis singled with two down in the eighth, but Fernando Rodriguez (1-3) entered and retired Scott Hairston to end the inning.
Schafer's 23-game stretch is the Astros' longest since Ricky Gutierrez reached base safely in the first 23 games of the 1998 season. The club record is 25 games, set by Denis Menke in 1969...The Mets officially activated Torres from the 15-day disabled list on Monday. He landed on the DL on April 6 with a strained left calf.
- NEW YORK: 3
Apr 30 11:02 PM
- Jed Lowrie singled to center scored Jordan Schafer. Runner on first with one out and Travis Buck due up.
Mets 3, Astros 4 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 30 10:45 PM
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis singled to right scored Ike Davis and Andres Torres. On the play, Lucas Duda advances to third and Kirk Nieuwenhuis advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third with two outs and Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 3, Astros 3 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 30 10:11 PM
- Andres Torres singled to second scored David Wright. On the play, Ike Davis advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Josh Thole due up.
Mets 1, Astros 3 Top 7, 1 OutApr 30 9:57 PM
- Matt Downs two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Travis Buck. Brian Bogusevic due up.
Mets 0, Astros 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 30 9:42 PM
- Travis Buck grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Jordan Schafer. On the play, Jed Lowrie out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Matt Downs due up.
Mets 0, Astros 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 30 9:42 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 30 8:09 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21